Leasing a Volvo XC90 in the NY/NJ area

, , ,

I’m located in the NY and have been looking for a T6 XC90 with 39/12k.

I’ve been doing some research and I initially wanted to get a Momentum w/ the Advance package but it seems that there are lease incentives currently for it. I was thinking of getting it from another state like Maryland(that has the $3,0000 lease cash) but was informed by another person that it would only apply if the state I’m going to register the car in(NY in this situation) has that same incentive.

Thinking of switching to looking for an R-Design w/ Advance instead since while it does cost a little bit more and has a 2% lower residual value, there is a $1,500 incentive and the MF is lower too(.00108 compared to .00155 for the Momentum).

Is it possible to get a monthly payment of below $700 for this with taxes rolled in and max MSD’s? I’m also qualified for the A-plan but from what I’ve read here, I’m better off negotiating for more % off than what it can provide.

Thanks.

Volvo incentives go by dealer location. You can’t do MSD in NY, so make sure MD dealer can do it for you for NY registration.

Is the lease cash the same in Maryland for Momentum and R-Design, or is the R-Design $1,500 higher? You could calculate both cars, but probably for the most part the RV and MF will cancel each other out. Watch out for 22” wheels- I’m certain they’re not rated for mud and snow. See if they have the Holiday Sales Event. It will rebate back the first payment.

I was checking the Volvo Payment Estimator for different dealers and it seems that Maryland is the nearest state to where I am that has an incentive for the Momentum.

NY/NJ/PA/DE:
MOM: 0
RDES: $1,500
INSC: $1,500

MD:
MOM: $3,000
RDES: $1,500
INSC: $1,500

Sounds like the best deal will be a Momentum in MD, all things being equal, especially if they can take MSDs. The rest of the equation is the discount and MF you get.

How is this?

39/12
MSRP: $62,030
Sale Price: $54,369 (includes A-plan and $3,000 lease incentive)
MF: .00155
Doc Fee: $299
Acq. Fee: $995
Res: 58%
10x MSD
Zero Drive-Off
NY sales tax
$676.00/mo.

I saw the car on the dealer website so I called them up. The sales person told me a different number when I first spoke with them. I asked for the best price before incentives and was told around $55,500.
I got a lease quote from the sales manager today who based off the calculations on a totally different sales price ($54,369). I asked for an explanation and was told that the price on the website, $57,869 is with the $1,000 Volvo loyalty which I’m not qualified for so it’s $58,869 which is the invoice price. They took off the $3,000, $750 for the A-plan, and a little bit more off to get to the current price.

Asked about the $55,500 price again and they said that they don’t know where the sales person got that number from but what they’re currently offering to me is a great deal.

Is this a good enough or should I keep on looking? Seems like just the typical A-plan minus a couple more off.

They must be getting an additional $750 incentive for November (which doesn’t show on the payment estimator), which could get you to exactly $54,369. For A-Plan, if the incentive is there, they have to give it to you. They can go lower if they give up the A-Plan. Hurts them- helps you.

The buy rate on the MF is 0.00155. If that’s what they’re charging you with 10 MSDs, then their buy rate is 0.00105. Can you put this in the calculator and post it?

Here it is.

10 MSD’s is $7,500 and not $7,250 like it says on the Leasehackr calculator.

The MSDs would be multiples of $700 (payment rounded up to nearest $50 increment), so $7,000.

If the northeast has the first payment waiver, then $676 would be rebated back, lowering the payment to around $656. At $656, it would only take about $200 to get you to a payment of $650, which would make the MSDs $6,500, saving your $500 out of pocket.

If you let them do the A-Plan vs going deeper on their own, they won’t lose the A-Plan incentive and the 2% commission. In other words, it will cost them about $1,800 to discount the car one more dollar. My opinion would be to let them do the A-Plan deal since they’re giving you the buy rate, but ask them to drop the acq fee to $695 since they’re coming out so much better. Let Volvo contribute $1,800 to the deal vs taking it out of their hide. Many here would prefer to rip their heart out. If the dealer is willing to do that, that’s up to you. My 2 cents…

1 Like

@KD6-3.7-- You sir are very well informed. Why not put together some Volvo deals for this community and collect a fee on the back-end?

1 Like

Thanks, Dany. I just do it for sport. Technically it would be illegal to do that without a broker’s license. I worked as a broker in the early days of brokerdom from 1984-1992 and my business partner who joined me in 1985 was prior to that a Volvo sales manager. So we did about 20 Volvos a month in the late 80s. It was as many as most dealers did in that era, but back then they were getting MSRP most of the time. Always liked Volvos and like them. I think Volvo is on a big upswing now due to the wealthy parent company. I think Volvo is like Audi was about 20-25 years ago- about to enjoy more prominence.

Thanks. The dealer was the one who provided the MSD amount of $7,500. I thought the way it’s calculated is to get the monthly before the MSD’s(seems to be $727 according to the calc) and then round it up to the nearest 50?

No- rounded on the payment after the rate reduction. Sounds like they’re a little unfamiliar. It’s not clear in the retailer guide, but they can call VCFS to confirm.

MD is in Mid-Atlantic.

Yes, @KD6-3.7 why not? :thinking::grin:

A lot of good posters here are unaware of the first payment waiver and it seems a lot of dealers are unaware of it. I was told by our rep that it is nationwide and applies to everything except XC40s. 2019 S60s are included and it should roll over into December.

2 Likes

good to know

If dealer is unaware of it. what’s best way for them to find out and make sure its part of the deal?

Also, anyone have experience with/ thoughts on the advance package? is it useful on a regular basis? or is it features that wouldnt get used much? dont live in an area that requires parallel parking

The sales manager should have gotten the November programs either the evening of 10/31 or the morning of 11/1. It should be one of the bulletins he received.

You have to decide for yourself if you want the Advanced pkg. It’s possible that when you find an XC90 that has everything else you want that it either has it or it doesn’t. You can see what’s in the packages in the “Build & Price” link on the Volvo website. Click on the i with a circle around it for a breakdown.

https://www.volvocars.com/us/build/suv/xc90/momentum/t6-awd/personalize/packs?s=BY6J6WY

I’ve asked the dealer and they said that it’s not available in this region(Mid-Atlantic)

@renz609 - There’s only three regions- Western, Southern, and Northeast. I’m told they all have the first payment waiver. Others here have confirmed it’s available in the Southern region and I know it’s good in the Western.

Try asking other dealers in your area. Check for clearance, Clarence!