Lane keeping standard SUV?

What would be cheapest affordable SUV that comes with adaptive cruse and lane keeping assistant standard? Looking for small suv (like forester or bigger).

1 Like

Forester…

Forester doesn’t have lane center keeping feature.

1 Like

Which SUVs do have the features you are looking for? Or are you expecting us to research that for you?

2 Likes

2019 with eyesight does, I’m pretty sure.

1 Like

2018 Honda CRV EX trim above has Honda sensing as standard. EX-Ls are leasing at $315 a month for 36/12k here in MA

1 Like

I own a 2018 Outback, Eyesight keeps the car centered, but you still have to be the driver. Unless you want Autopilot by Tesla that practically drives for you, but than that wouldn’t match with cheapest.

Also Crosstrek would be smaller than Forester as well. I’m just basing cheapest off MSRP’s cause incentives and current programs would change that entire picture up completely.

I test drove 2019 forester and ascent. Thet all have adaptive cruise standard but not lane keeping. They call sway assist that keep you in the lane for 2-3 times and turn off. This is different with keep your car centered in lane.

2019 RAV4 - standard with toyota safety sense

1 Like

I could be wrong but isn’t the Toyota Sense just lane departure warning? A buddy of mine has a Tacoma and I’m pretty sure it only has lane departure as standard, not lane keep assist.

it has Lane Tracing Assist

When Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC) is enabled and lane markers are visible, Lane Tracing Assist (LTA) uses the lines on the road and preceding vehicles to help keep the vehicle centered while also displaying the vehicle’s position on the MID screen. The system was designed to reduce driver strain and increase convenience, and benefit drivers most during traffic jams—but can be turned off using the MID. The Lane Tracing Assist feature is available with an automatic transmission; not available with a manual transmission.

Well that makes sense then, his Tacoma is a MT.

Here is a partial list of vehicles with level 2 driverless

From that list: SUV’s with lane centering:
Ford Edge, 2020 Explorer, Lincoln Nautilus, Lincoln Aviator, Honda Pilot, Acura MDX, Hyundai Palisade, Santa Fe, Nissan Rogue, Rav4, …

Which of these leases the best?

2 Likes

I’m intrigued by openpilot, which seems to use existing adaptive cruise control and lane keeping hardware (radar and camera) but adds genuine lane centering capabilities. It’s compatible with a number of cars, including most Honda and Toyota SUVs:

Of course, the usual caveats apply. These systems are not fully tested or regulated, and it remains the driver’s responsibility to pay attention and react accordingly.

1 Like

Ahhh why must you post this. I probably have to buy it to try it

We just bought a 2019 Rogue with lane centering, called ProPilot. You need to get the SV trim with premium package or SL trim. The 18’s only had it on the SL with premium package.

We bought the car outright (we have 1 leased, 1 owned car in the family) and got a pretty good deal on the SV premium package trim. Just over $30k MSRP for $22k OTD (~$20k sales price) with VPP when the 19’s were barely hitting lots. It will also come with a 360 camera and memory seats, which were harder to come by in other brands and important to us.

4 Likes

When you’ve formed an opinion on ProPilot, let us know what you think.

10k total discount on a 2019 nissan? i thought vpp was only 500 for nissan. did they also have a loyalty offer?
seems great

If you’re looking for something similar to Tesla Autopilot (TACC and lane centering at all times), I don’t think there’s much in the affordable sector at the moment, except Nissan’s ProPilot. Most right now are just “assist” feature to keep you from accidentally moving into adjacent lane. Keep in mind that as these features roll out, they are not all created equal. If a car keeps you between the lines but is ping-ponging most of the time, it’s technically lane-keeping but it’ll probably make you sick. Not pointing out any specific manufacturers, just advising to take features with a grain of salt until you try it.

I’ve got about 2000 miles on the car so far, including a few 100+ mile highway trips. ProPilot is great on the highway with good lane markings. It does good at smooth transitions and not ping-ponging around in a lane. It gets confused occasionally, but it can almost always be noticed why (painted over lines, construction areas, poor line markings especially faded white lines on concrete roads, lane suddenly gets wider and it re-centers) and it just tells you you’re back in control. It’s a little too sensitive IMO on hands off the wheel as I believe it is looking for movement/resistance to automated movements. It does beep every time is loses or finds lanes, so you’re not guessing.

It’s not designed for use off highway, although it does still work pretty good with lots of beeps. Every time you go through an intersection or portion with no lines on either side, it immediately loses the lanes.

If you do a lot of highway driving, I would highly recommend it. It eases the burden while driving, but you cannot completely let the car drive for you. From very limited experience with Tesla, it’s not at that level, but it’s way cheaper.

1 Like