Jaguar F-Type: Best Path Forward

Long-time lurker here, first-time poster.

My lease (which I got a phenomenal deal on thanks to reading quite a bit here) on my Infiniti Q50 is up soon. I am wanting to switch to an F-Type. Test drove it twice, love the style and it’s definitely my next car. My question is what’s available and when to make a move? I contacted 15 or so dealerships which had active inventory of what I wanted, and am getting quotes now, but nothing too exciting on the 18 models.

Are there 17’s out there still to be leased? Is it worth waiting a little longer to get better pricing on an 18? I am really just looking for a base coupe package, even willing to stay on the 2.0 liter instead of 3 if I get a great deal. I’m not a guy who gets too caught up on specific packages…I love the car and just want a great price.

Here is an example of what I was quoted with these options:

INCLUDED PACKAGES
Climate Package 1
2-Zone Climate Control
Heated Windshield
Heated Seats
Heated Steering Wheel

INCLUDED OPTIONS
Keyless Entry
Powered Tailgate
Auto High Beam Assist
Garage Door Opener
Car Care Kit
Wheel Lock Pack
Auto-Dimming Door Mirrors
Fixed Panoramic Roof
Blind Spot Monitor & Reverse Traffic Detection

Thoughts?

1 Like

Don’t look at 2018s yet. See what 2017 inventory is available, and bite on it soon before they stop supporting them. Otherwise, wait a bit on the 2018s. That payment is horrendous compared to the MY2017 deals. Not sure if 2018s will be as juicy as the 2017s were, but you can at least use the 2017 deals a benchmark.

An F-type with a 2.0 can only mean 2018+…until '17 the smallest motor was 6 cylinders

2017s are getting scarce so be willing to look outside of your area for one.

Jaguar Gulf Coast has a 2017 with 20k off MSRP.

With what they have already taken off of MSRP combined with making sure they use the lowest money factor, you should already be well below the monthly payments compared to the example you listed above. And seeing how that model already has a few hundred miles on it, you might be able to get them to shave off some more.

I thought as much. Haven’t been successful in locating 17 inventory, but that was mostly local up until now. Going to put my feelers out and see I suppose. Everyone I had checked was only looking at purchase deals on 17s period. Thanks for the insight.

Thanks @needacar123 and you give me confirmation of what I thought I should be doing, which is quickly eat up a 17 which fits. That one you’ve posted is not bad at all, but my only issue is that I am not a convertible guy at all, especially on Jags. The look just turns me off for some reason. Going to keep looking…thanks for the help!

Correct @max_g that quote is for an 18. I was just using that to show how far off the 18 is even with some ‘discounts’ compared to the great deals I see on 17s. Wondered if anyone had gotten any good deals on an 18 yet and if that was what I posted was more or less what I could expect.

I tried reaching out to that jaguar gulf coast a few days ago and that 70k msrp is the purschase price… they wanted 74k for leasing and was quoted 865 including taxes with just first payment out of pocket.

Ouch. That’s not a very good discount at all. It’d need to be at least 20-25% to be worth considering. Plus that ugly red convertible top is an eye sore.

Yea part of the problem is that most of not all the 2017s left which can be leased tend to be the high end ones which are pretty expensive so the price doesn’t end up being great even with a 20% discount.

At least for myself given I’m not looking to spend 600+

Yeah, that’s what I assumed…most places I’ve contacted have some great deals where they can knock off a significant amount from the MSRP, but they’re all purchase. Leasing isn’t given the same discounts…and understandably so. Hoping to find the needle in the haystack and get lucky. If anyone has any leads, let me know. I am scouring and annoying dealerships at the moment :smiley:

Have had no luck on any 17 leases, only purchases on high end models or the British version.

I had an agent in San Diego tell me the following:

“ I do want your business but the market on this particular car is tight because it’s not being made anymore. ”

What did he mean by that? He also quoted me $730 a month with $3k down, 10k/yr for 36mos and said I was flat out lying if I could do better…so he’s not a great source of info. But still, I’d like to know what he meant?

Of note, he was talking about the 296 base coupe, an 18 model.

Does anyone have experience with CPO leases from Jaguar? I’ve got a 17 F-Type Base Coupe with about about 8,500 miles on it, asking 2,500 down, $487 a month for 36 months. How much lower can I go?

No idea – generally CPOs don’t leas well. What’s the original MSRP on the car? That’s an effective payment
of $560/mo+tax. So if that’s on a base F-Type (ie $60k MSRP) that’s not a very good deal. You should also ask about the vehicle history and why it was returned so early as a CPO.

It’s not showing MSRP so I’ll have to ask but this is what was on the ad:

I’m assuming it’s probably a base F-Type if they’re saying the retail is $54k (we’re assuming pretty minimal depreciation to this point so it’s not like they’re knocking an $80k F-Type down to $54k).

I see, makes sense. I think I’ll ask for a pretty lowball offer and see what happens. It is a base coupe, has a lot of options added. I will ask for 0 down and a lower monthly as well as the details on the CPO status.

I’d be interested in hearing how they’re calculating money factor and residual for it. I highly doubt they’ll do a reasonable lease for a CPO, but who knows, maybe it’ll be a unicorn :slight_smile:

I posted about my 2018 Jaguar F-Type deal here: 2018 Jaguar F-Type R $1,098/mo

But that is for the R and you’re looking for a base, so it’s not directly applicable. Prior to getting the 2018, I searched nationwide for any remaining 2017s and the only dealership in the country with any was in Las Vegas and the guy there wasn’t willing to negotiate the price at all. It was $900/mo before tax with $4,500-$5,000 down. Bullshit deal. I tried to work it but the dealer was a stone wall.