Did I get scammed? Spoiler Alert: NO

Hi All, I’m new to this forgive me in advance for all of the novice mistakes I’m about to lay down for you.
So I got to my Hyundai Dealer in the Bronx last night to test drive a car. I need something small, not fancy, not luxury, etc. I asked about the Veloster, the Kona, but they showed me the Elantra. I was happy with the size and the test drive was very basic so I was excited to be getting a car that was cheap and that would get me through weekends without using Uber or rental cars!
The dealer offered me 4 options for 36 months, 10k miles / year-
0 down - $185/month
OR (the following are rough estimates from my hazy memory)
750 down - $120 month
1750 down - $100 month
3900 down - $67/month

So, of course, I decide to take the basic Elantra for $0 down and $185 a month. So we continue the process, then I learn they have to add taxes and fees from the state, registration, dealer fees to drive off, etc… so my monthly payment is now $255/month for 36 months. Now, I’m finally registering my info online on MyHyundai.com, I’m learning there are other Elantra cars with more features for the rate that I was charged, and I’m kicking myself for not shopping around other dealers and other brands. Not sure what to do, if it’s too late? or if I can reverse any of this and fight it? Please help.

Scam? No. Ripped off? Maybe. You should have done your research before signing the contract.

18 Likes

Yup, what Jon said. I’m sure you could’ve gotten a lot better deal if you did your research, but enjoy it for the next 3 years and then stick around this forum and learn some stuff. I’ve learned a ton over the years on here. Very knowledgeable group.

1 Like

Unfortunately this is a case of buyers remorse. Enjoy the car, advertised prices you’re seeing are also +TTL. Glad you posted. In 36 months you will get a killer educated deal.

5 Likes

Have you signed and taken the car out of the dealership? If not, you can just walk out. If you did, then just enjoy your car and don’t think about it too much.

You have 36mths to learn the trade and get an excellent deal next time. Cheers!

Not sure if this is still a thing, but I would ask about this… https://www.nydailynews.com/autos/news/hyundai-shopper-assurance-program-money-back-guarantee-article-1.3553881

Says they were rolling out a 3 day money back guarantee. Hopefully that’s the case, and you can get out of it!

1 Like

I just read the first line that said Hyundai and Bronx and my answer is yes. Now let me go back to reading the rest and see if I change my mind

4 Likes

I read the rest and I hope you do a better job in 3 years when the lease is up…

3 Likes

The young lady who was helping me did say I had 3 days to come back. But I’m not sure if it’s worth going back. I’m happy with the car, just not happy about the rate, do you think I can get them to roll back the rate a little? How?

Generally I think Hyundai dealers are bad, however I wouldn’t call this scam.
You even didn’t know you need to pay registration fee/tax/dealer fees on top of your base lease payment.

That’s pretty much mean you didn’t do necessary research before commit to buying, the car and the price dealer provided doesn’t seems to be outrageous.

4 Likes

Yes, I signed and it’s in my driveway at home. I slept 1 night and got online today and found this website. SO naturally I have horrible remorse and would really like some advice about how to get them to lower my monthly price… not sure how I let them get away with adding an extra $79 in “taxes and fees” at the end of the night last night.

Oophf.

Need to do research before you buy!

Either way, 255 a mo for a base elantra sounds right with no negotiation. If you’re still in your 3-day window, return the car, say you don’t like it and it’s not what you’re looking for.

Go to another Hyundai dealer and negotiate a good deal on another Elantra.

1 Like

Curious, how does registering at myhyuindai.com show how much others pay for better equipped cars?

2 Likes

What do you mean by letting them get away with adding an extra 79 dollars in “taxes and fees?”

Those are mandatory. Everyone pays taxes, DMV fees, registration, acquisition fee, document fee, etc. on their lease deals. You didn’t get any special treatment. It just sounds to me that you weren’t informed.

Now you know.

2 Likes

Cold.

Hyundai is producing some competitive cars, though. Drove a Kia rental last year and was pleasantly surprised by the driving dynamics and equipment in the base beater. Better than an Altima I rented two months later…

Frigid. 2020

my fault for not explaining. I went onto MyHyundai.com and was able to see my window card with the pricing. Then I compared that with the other Elantra models. I was on the higher end of the spectrum but with the base model. That’s what I meant by that… I really don’t know how much other people are paying.

this doesn’t sound like a horrendous ripoff tbh

4 Likes

I understand that it’s mandatory. I’m just wishing I was more stern and demanded a breakdown of the prices because it seemed like it was all BS numbers pulled out of thin air.

I see what you’re saying.

I agree, when you do this again be assertive about seeing line items of what they’re charging.

You also signed a lease contract agreement that has all these things broken down. If you want a lower payment and are in that 3-day window, I HIGHLY recommend you go into the dealer RIGHT NOW to return the vehicle and communicate with a separate dealer to negotiate a price there.

1 Like