Your New Car is Probably Invading your Privacy

Bad news: your car is a spy. If your vehicle was made in the last few years, you’re probably driving around in a data-harvesting machine that may collect personal information as sensitive as your race, weight, and sexual activity.

Kia and Nissan seem very concerned about your future needs for third-row seating :eyes:

https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/privacynotincluded/categories/cars/

1 Like

Well no wonder those frontiers were so cheap.

Fellow Nissan owners can use the link below in the MyNISSAN app to opt out of private info selling. It asks for a VIN so hopefully it restricts data collected by the car as well.

2 Likes

Don’t bank on that. It’s likely focused on the data collected by the application.

People way overvalue their privacy. Individual private info has little commercial value for anyone short of a national celebrity.

Using the law of supply and demand, the fact that every single service you use wants to be able to sell your data means it has value.

4 Likes

this may be one of the single most short sighted things i’ve ever read on this forum, and that includes the guy trying to buy the flooded car!

6 Likes

Agree 100%.

There’s a reason the EU passed a law in 2018 to protect everyone’s data from corporate use. It’s been a fantastic thing and it’s considered part of their Human Rights.

But here in ‘Merica Joe chucklefuck thinks he has all the freedums

1 Like

Come on. Eu is miles ahead with 1984 software. It always goes asia-eu-merica. But the fact is they all collude. They don’t call them multinationals for nothing. Welcome to the new world order. Chalk up another one up for the “tin foil hats” who have been warning of this for 30+ years

1 Like

Oh, just wait until we get the interactive AI-assisted bots available on Chinese cars (my “effective” nephew works in the auto industry is and is totally fine w/ the data mining b/c the AI bot is just so damn fun to interact w/).

What did lenin say? Something like give me one generation and the world will be transformed…with current tech not nearly as much time is needed

“Give me just one generation of youth, and I’ll transform the whole world.”

Though I prefer:

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

3 Likes

He def had a bunch of zingers that are coming to fruition for sure. I guess some must be a fan of that playbook. Instead of the bourgeoisie the middle class is being crushed by inflation and taxation

Hopefully everyone factory resets their leases at disposition, and rental cars when they turn them in, though as this article points out that may not be enough. Not allowing your infotainment to download contacts and text messages is better. Using something like CarPlay or AA is even better.

the systems are sending that data back to the manufacturers on a constant basis. all wiping the data does is keep it out of the hands of whoever buys the car next. once you plug in the phone the manufacturer has your data.

1 Like

Maybe a non-related comment but I just filled out this form to stop BoA from sharing my information elsewhere:

1 Like

Great tip.

If you live in CA: the first letter you receive in the mail with a new loan/lease should have a CA privacy notice you can fill out and return - I do that before I even setup autopay.

1 Like