Your Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Will Be the Last to Go | MotorBiscuit

This Motor Biscuit site comes up with seem really far out there BS, must be Cali based. So I guess hot shot trucking will be dead along with any kind of recreationally activities like towing giant ass boats or campers or other 'merica type stuff. They will be the “last to go” though, thanks captain obvious. EV’s are still far from mainstream but big heavy duty diesels might be gone by 2030, yeah good luck. How’s the electric grid going to handle all that, especially in Cali where they already have rolling black/brown outs

IMG_20200717_215218
Better get this in as much as we can now

1 Like

No problem, we’ll just buy the energy from China coal power plants and pat ourselves on the back for being so green.

I’m all for renewables but there will always be a demand for gas and diesel ICE. My :crystal_ball: is that in 25 years we will be something like 50/50 gas/electric vehicles. As electric vehicle usage goes up electricity prices will go up even more and gas prices go down; there will be market parity and balance at some point and consumers can choose whatever fits their needs. Give the corolla buyers their electric self driving boxes and the rest of us can have our fun. I’m happy that we likely don’t have to worry about peak oil anymore - it really may be an infinite resource.

1 Like

Well, worldometers says we’ll be out in 43 years.

Based on…???

We were supposed to be at peak oil 40 years ago and again 15 years ago.

1 Like

I should be dead by then, or at least hope so, as I don’t want to be having my diaper changed by a 350 lb orderly

1 Like

I think this is all too often forgotten about, or not given a thought. That 200/mo bill to light your house and keep your AC humming through the hell of summer ain’t gonna go down once EV power consumption rises with adoption. Enjoy the cheap “gas” for now, cause it ain’t gonna last unless you start adding solar panels to your roof

2 Likes

I’m just the messenger. The meter is ticking at a rate they calculate is current. Some algorithm I suppose extrapolates it to be 40-some years. Unless more dinosaurs die and turn to crude in 43 years, that could be our reality at current consumption rates. I’m not betting on it, and cleaner power is gaining traction, but with rulers of the world the way they are, who knows where we’ll be.

I hope you don’t actually take that seriously with no info on what it’s actually based on. My guess is current stated reserves per the EIA and current usage which is total BS. Read up on oil discovery and reserves. I was a peak oil believer 15 years ago and now I believe that it’s a nearly unlimited resource, although the majority of oil discoveries are not economically viable to obtain at current price levels.

1 Like

Again, not betting on it. But then again, how can anyone really know. Just sayin

I would love it if we never run out, especially if it is because alternative energy sources develop and dominate

All true. The electricity prices here in SoCal go up about 10-15% like clockwork every 2-3 years and will continue to do so in the future. However, with the current ever improving solar tech one actually has the option to control its fuel prices. The utility can only hike prices so much before people do the math and realize solar is inevitable…especially at the current 1.49% finance rates…people switch…utility hikes prices some more to recoup lost revenue…resulting in even more people switching. They are trapped at this point with no way out…it’s not environmentalists that pushed 10% ev adoption in CA…it’s people that want to save money.

Not to mention the crazy gas taxes there

50.5 cents…it sure has some influence but what i see as the most beneficial to an ev owner is the free work charging incentives which are offered by more and more employers…to appear greener i guess. When i started with this ev thing my wife and i we had no free work charging…now we both have that option even though we don’t always use it since we have surplus solar anyway.
With that said, it will be a few more years until you will be able to take your yacht to the boat ramp with an ev so the diesel truck is safe for now.

Sure it is, have you checked how cheap solar panels are now? In California PG&E territory you can make the cost back in 5-7 years. Charge your car for free while you’re at it. Wind and Solar+storage is beating out natural gas for new plants because it’s so cheap, and it’s cheaper for utilities to shut down existing coal plants.

We’re not going to run out of oil, but we are going to run out of economic incentives to discover and drill new sites.

You apparently missed where I said “unless you add solar panels to your roof”

The technology is still being perfected but solar roofs may just be the standard for nicer new construction homes with southern or eastern exposure in 10 years.

Currently they take the place/cost of a standard roof and can generally cover their cost delta between a standard roof*. It will be a while before battery storage is economically viable except in places with very expensive electricity and a lot of sunny days during winter.

(just described LA I think)

*With low interest rates. Important caveat when financing.

I think this is true even if you don’t consider the economic externalities…which of course is a political third rail in America although less so in Europe and Asia.

2 Likes

Solar isn’t great from about October to March for a lot of the country, seems more efficient to deploy it on a large scale commercially, not just panels on people’s roofs. Seems like a giant solar farm could produce a greater amount of power, if the land exists.

I have never once had the power go out in LA. Is it a NorCal thing?

That was back in 2000ish, haven’t had rolling blackouts any time recently due to lack of capacity. What is new is PG&E is shutting off power in fire prone areas when there’s a fire risk (high winds, dry, hot, etc). It’s not because we don’t have the capacity though, so it’s not really a ‘grid’ issue other than potential maintenance issues on high voltage lines running through forests.