WWYD with an EQS lease you don't want?

Hi there – I’m interested in learning your perspective.

I have a EQS lease ending in 14 months. The total cost of ownership between now and lease end is a shade under $15k. It’s a fine car for the value but it just sits because we almost exclusively use the Sienna. So, I feel like it’s a waste of $15k.

I’ve considered selling the car at a several thousand dollar loss. That requires buying out the car and selling it within 10 days to avoid CA sales tax. I am inexperienced in this jiujitsu – complexities come with the need to convince a potential buyer to deposit money into an escrow account in the case they back out and I’m stuck with owning a car that has a ton of negative equity. I wish MB would allow lease transfers again because someone would probably take it for the $669/mo payment.

I’ve asked for buyout quotes from a massive list of online buyers I found on LH. All of them quoted values so low, it makes more sense to keep the car. So my only option is to sell private party.

The upside of selling at a loss is that I’d recoup some of the total lease cost.

Another incentive to selling the EQS is that it frees up a slot to acquire another, more exciting car that I’d find excuses to drive.

What would you do?

2 Likes

I sold mine to Carvana and replacing it with an amg. Got Carvana to offer 10k more than others, but likely because their data was old and I was lucky. If they didn’t offer so much I would have just kept the car.

Oh nice, hope you didn’t lose much on the buyout.

I’m not so well versed on MBFS but would you consider putting it on turo if left with no other option besides a snowy off-ramp?

How bad is that you would rather drive around in a minivan? There’s one left in NorCal for a $110k MSRP for $375/mo with $3.5k das and MSDs. It is so temping because I know I’ll never be able to lease an S class at this price, even if the EQS isn’t considered a real S class by some people, or even most people. I mean, my wife is already pissed at me, so she would just be more pissed.

3 Likes

What’s the equity between the trade in value and payoff? Based on your answer; decide if you rather waste $x,xxx or drive the car and spend $15K.

Be mindful that Turo comes with its own risks and rewards.

1 Like

Yep, already listed for a couple of months. No bites, presumably because of high deposit to rent the car and low rental demand for EVs.

Never thought I’d choose a minivan over a car but with two young kids, the Sienna is a game changer. I’d still want a convertible roadster to balance dad life though.

That $375 is insane. Since it sounds like you’re after the opulence, that is a steal for an indulgent luxury cruise ship. But if you like smaller, agile cars (leasehacked F-Type and Miata) like I do, look elsewhere.

2 Likes