Worst leases you've seen

I bet there are plenty of people in the wild that would jump at that deal.

Confession:
Short story, was signing my lease today and overheard a customer with 2 kids and a wife agreeing to pay 673 p/mo for a 2019 3 series + Inceptions … I was so confused if I should step in or not

The only way I would have stepped in was if I wasn’t planning on giving the dealer my business.

1 Like

Lol guess the dealer has to make some money with a few deals like that to be able to provide us with LH worthy deals … in my mind that man took one for the team haha

1 Like

Without knowing all the details, you should stay out of it. (And even then…)

They could have been rolling in some negative equity on a trade in, buying a ton of miles or otherwise leasing a high MSRP example.

Adding to this, Unicorn deals aren’t possible without 50 other people effectively subsidizing them.

2 Likes

BAHAHAHAHAAH. This is only funny because they could’ve done this deal in April and probably made a killing with BMWFS incentives.

I hate these people.

I drove a 340xi demo at the end of April just for giggles. I wasn’t really impressed, was shooting the sh*t with the sales guy and of course the sales manager cornered me trying to shove $1000 coupons or some other such BS in my face. He told me that they wouldn’t go more than 12% off selling price, laughed at me and told me I was lying when I said that I had demo offers lined up for days at 17-19% off plus incentives.

They got stuck with 21 2018’s due to their hubris. I hope they lose a ton of money on them.

2 Likes

There was a thread similar to this where we didn’t understand why some BMW dealers weren’t aggressive enough in the last month.

3 Likes

my friend is leasing a 27k Mazda 3 for $379 per month with $3k down (plus tax probably)… I’m paying less than that for my 48k Alfa

only found out when I saw his car lol

FOLP, or the buy vs lease market is stronger in said locale.

1 Like

In real world, shoppers drop their pants for the dealer.

In the LH world, dealers drop their pants for shoppers.

While I hate seeing people getting taken advantage of, I know that without these generous, kind (If otherwise ignorant) folk our deals would be impossible.

5 Likes

In his defense, Mazda’s tend to lease like crap and while he did get hosed, it could’ve been worse

I mentioned on another thread that I tried to get a 2019 440i GC loaner but it was a “no haggle” dealer who told me we should stop the conversation immediately if I wanted the price lowered- at 12% off MSRP. The car was at ~4000 miles too. He texted me and asked why it was a problem for me since it was a fantastic deal. I told him yes- on a new car, not a used car.

I called another one about a loaner that had apparently been incorrectly listed on their website and was new. He then told me more than 7% off MSRP was impossible DUE to all the lease incentive programs going on now. Those words literally came out of his mouth.

Sadly people will believe these things.

1 Like

Oh it’s possible, it’s just impossible for him to make his boat payment without gobbling up the lease cash. :wink:

2 Likes

Yep, and some folks tried to explain why every situation was different and some dealer’s don’t want to make a deal. Maybe that’s the case but there had to be a reason seemingly every BMW dealership in competitive markets was blowing out their remaining 3 series in April. Now this dealership needs a sale price thousands more than than they would have needed in April to cover the lost incentives.

I don’t think I’ll ever buy a car again that isn’t a track toy or fun project again as aggressive BMW dealers seem to be fairly easy to find.

Eh- I’d say the average person has no idea they didn’t get a deal and either overpays just because they can or just assumes they could never afford a BMW and goes elsewhere.

As I posted above (and got hate for)- my friend paying $270/mo plus cash down for an $18k subaru believes she got a deal because it was a payment she could afford, a brand new car and she knew the guy that sold it to her. In my mind this IS the worst kind of deal because it’s so casually shitty, relies on a consumer’s lack of knowledge and so many people fall for it.

The first time I sat down for an X1 quote, I was completely unknowledgeable, lovedrunk off a test drive (i had been driving a 2010 mazda) and was offered something like $5k upfront (I had a trade in back then) and $450/mo payment and I literally almost went home to get my checkbook and then something told me to research this a bit more carefully. Shiver.

1 Like

Yeah, nothing worse than a “dealer friend” preying on their family and friends and making chumps out of them.

Friend got this offer today, I don’t have all the details. He was told there are no incentives on it yet. Not sure if that’s true but I would assume they are low if any because it’s just hitting dealer lots but I don’t know much about this model yet.

2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
MSRP $51,798
Sale price 51,298
48/10
3500 + tax/title and “fees” due at signing
$559 a month

$625/mo effective, that deal belongs in the circular filing cabinet.

1 Like

Look at that high money factor! Unreal.