Wondering why deals aren’t as good this year?

I’d say that EVs in general are outliers because of the need to incentivize adoption. Automakers don’t need to convince people to buy trucks.

2 Likes

Without using the naughty word government. Can someone explain to me why evs are so cheap still and there’s plenty available? Couldn’t possibly be a conspiracy…

They get what they pay for. With your money, that’s why

Plenty? Not that ‘plenty’ as it really is.
The reason there is so many Kia’s and Hyundai evs because last year the deals stunk.
Bolts? Not sure on Bolts, they are making tons.
Tesla’s? Those are very niche but get lots of press.

But does it have a HUD? I’d die without a HUD. I may just get a 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix.

4 Likes

Do we need to drill deeper than supply and demand?

1 Like

Pretty interesting but not surprised by this:

“Sales of vehicles priced between $80,000 and $90,000 grew 91 percent year-over-year in the fourth quarter of 2020, according to J.D. Power data. Meanwhile, sales evaporated at the bottom end of the market. The under-$20,000 segment—which has been contracting bit by bit for years—collapsed, with a 30-percent year-over-year drop in the fourth quarter. The $20,000-to-$30,000 segment shrank 7 percent; the over-$100,000 market grew 63 percent.”

3 Likes

All those 6-cylinder GLEs!

1 Like

$1k/month lease payments :flushed:

Did the under 20k segment shrink bc there’s no cars left for under 20? Damn corolla is $21k. And rates are low and terms extended to 84 months. So let’s get in debt and upgrade!

Also middle class people have nothing to spend money on so lots may be splurging as their homes and portfolios have ballooned. Perfect time to get into a new $90k gle

I smell a crash but even a broken clock is right sometimes. We’re well overdue and when everyone has a new car, new home and higher credit card limits, that’s usually the result. I’m just wondering who this one will be blamed on…

2 Likes

:point_up::point_up: Been seeing a lot of “negative equity” threads lately, with more and more folks getting stuck in that cycle.

You’re probably right about a crash coming soon. Who knows how soon.

Macy’s cut my credit limit in half last year. I had no balance and did not use it much. When I did shop there (in-person/online), I usually paid cash or used my debit card.

1 Like

That’s a normal cycle on credit / store cards when they go unused.

Never understood this. Why not use a credit card that gives rewards and pay it off. No fees + rewards, why not use that?

1 Like

The only time I got a “reward” was when I first signed up for the card. I believe they were offering a one-day additional discount on all purchases. Don’t get me wrong, I did use it here and there for additional savings. However, Macy’s pricing was not always competitive.

On the other hand, I’ve used my Best Buy credit card quite often. Got a few rewards certificates after spending a certain amount. Have not shopped there lately since I do not need anything from them.

I’ve actually seen much less people with neg equity and I’d say 90% of my clients are over the 700 credit mark. That may be a bad indicator for financial health but it seems to be getting better to me. My typical customer does seem to be doing better then 2 years ago based on all that.

But on the other hand the people that lease cars are typically financially savvy and employed so I don’t deal with the subprime side of things so no clue about the health of that demographic. Once the moratoriums and unemployment’s end I expect some collateral damage.

… “sensor”…Jon enters thread

yes, yes I am :tiger2:

2 Likes

Jerome Powell

Deals are on fire this year! Main reason is Used car values went up, auctions did amazing, as a result residuals are more aggressive! Never have I ever could lease a Tucson for below 270~280 plus tax… However this year they dropped significantly, now you can get them for 229 plus tax!!

Ahh, still butt hurt over your closed unfunny thread? :sleepy:

3 Likes

Just remember

5 Likes

I disagree - I think the economy will move sideways in many parts, people will go back to more public transport and car sharing and demand for cars will go down. I also think a lot of people will flood the market with regret purchases. Add to that, manufactures adding capacity.

This will lead to more supply than demand.

1 Like

Well when you can get me a $800 i8, $200 3series and a $275 tundra crew sport sign me up!

Inflation alone will make those rates gone for good.

Notice they still charge a fee for $5 gas prices with many taxis when gas dropped to $2. Do groceries ever drop in price when commodities drop? Packaging continues to shrink.

Now that these companies see people will pay msrp or above for their aluminum shit boxes they will create false supplies to continue to gauge consumers.

Now get rid of some serious regulations that limit competition, then we might have some falling prices. That will never happen though…

The only chance gas engines have of dropping in monthly lease pricing to previous levels is if gas prices go back to $5-$6/gal. Which is a high probability imo. Or we have a major crisis with incredibly high unemployment

3 Likes