Wondering why deals aren’t as good this year?

Nice little read about supply and demand along with all the other factors leading to higher prices in the auto sector.

2 Likes

Good read - supply and demand. Also the “K” shaped 2020 covid recovery. One group did well and the other not so much. Shocking to see the growth in over 100k cars but a strong stock market and the ability to work remote put that class in a good spot for those purchases this year. As they said, if you are not spending money on a luxury vacation, they are buying nicer cars! Dealers aren’t dumb and can exploit this!

2 Likes

So… $800 2.0l GLE good deal?

6 Likes

Don’t forget the PPP money. Who wouldn’t finance a Lamborghini at 2% for several years, FREE Money!

3 Likes

Free and unlimited printing of fiat is the main cause of all this. Not covid. Very good point about the ppp

That’s a huge reach. Plants shut down for months and the huge chip shortage are major contributors.

As for stimulus money, more money is being taken out of the economy due to job loss than put in via stimulus

2 Likes

Im not going to get into a covid debate. But we’ve printed something like 25% of all money ever created in the last year. A 3 month shut down dowsnt warrant anything close to that. Corporate irresponsibility and not saving for a rainy day does…aka greed. Over reaching, high taxing govt causes all that as well. Along with having to “save” everyone including billionaires that should be taking risk. Risk includes things out of your control. It happens to average people going bankrupt all the time.

Also of the 1.9 trillion just printed for the “covid relief”, 9% is covid related. It’s point blank theft

6 Likes

While I agree with most of what you said, this has an almost irresistible potential to spiral out into a political thread.

2 Likes

Did you intend to derail your own thread?

6 Likes

Sometimes these days I just wanna tell people - just do it!!! $1k GLE? Do it!! $800 M440i? It’s a steal!

:man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Only if it has power folding mirrors. I would die if I didn’t have that. Nobody would be able to tell that I’m better than all of you if my mirrors didn’t automatically fold in when I lock my vehicle.

5 Likes

I’m right on rail friend. Sensor me if you want, used to it… but it’s 100% relevant

Politics? I’ll talk politics. My prediction for the 2020 election was that both candidates will be dead by 2024. It is a long-term prediction however that makes it more fun!

1 Like

I like it. And their families wealth will be inversely proportional to their oxygen consumption.

Regardless the point of this thread was to show people that deals of the past are gone and likely not coming back. So past threads are irrelevant. My clients have been having extreme sticker shock and we’re still discounting 8-12%.

Your own article says it’s a supply issue.

1 Like

Last call. Discuss supply and demand in the auto industry, not politics.

2 Likes

Not sure about this
Kia Niro EV Premium last year $350m
This year $250m, so the deals are better this year
Same with Bolts.
But then this might be an outlier

Edit : Btw the Kia has auto folding mirrors.

Updated…

I’d say that EVs in general are outliers because of the need to incentivize adoption. Automakers don’t need to convince people to buy trucks.

2 Likes