Why is it so hard to lease a Frontier? And is this disclaimer even legal?

I need a short-term lease. Something to drive for 12-18 months, so of course I’m looking at a Nissan Frontier. As long as it’s the best lease value, I don’t care if it’s S, SV, PRO-4X, but it has to be a crew cab.

No will follow-up.
My first issue is that no one will return my calls or emails. I’ve contacted six Nissan dealers, and three have simply not returned my call or email or call me back after I talk with them on the phone. I even kept is simple “Can you tell if this truck is available?”

One guy was even, “Oh yeah let me go look and call you right back” and then hung up before I could provide my name or phone number. I was confused what was happening.

We don’t do one-pay leases.
I see a dealer advertising a SV 4x4 Crew for $2k off MSRP. I plug in all the numbers into the calculator, and I get this:

This their advertised price using the current lease programs with maximum number of MSDs. If this is their advertised price, then I’d probably simply just take it. I don’t need to haggle, just give me the advertised deal. I talk to a nice guy on the phone, he says he’ll get the numbers ran.

Then I get hit with “we don’t do one-pay leases at this dealership.” I pressed a little more and someone ultimately responded with:

It is a company policy to not do one pay leases. We found that the difference in the money factor is not substantial enough to change out entire process and systems.

By not offering a one-pay, you’re also limiting MSDs to 5 instead of 7. (Also, no word if they’ll do MSDs yet. See below.)

Weird (illegal?) Disclaimer
After contacting another dealer with the goal of having them match the $2k discount but with a one-pay lease, the manager pulls the classic “I’m not selling a truck for a loss” and “why haven’t you bought it from them yet.” I assume he thinks I’m lying about the selling price, so I send him link. This is what page looks like:

He comes back and points out the disclaimer:

*For Reference Only, Market Conditions Dictate Actual Price

I hadn’t even noticed that (I’m a dummy). Though, that dealer did confirm the $2k off MSRP price by email and on the phone. So maybe it’s not an issue, but is that even legal? It’s essentially, “We’re advertising this price, but you can’t hold us to it.”

We don’t do MSDs
So the dealership with Grouchy McGrouchface as the manager is supposedly writing up a lease option right now. I assume it will be no discount or a tiny discount from MSRP, but let’s see.

However, when I talked to their salesman and communicated the lease terms I was looking for, he hit me with:

Thanks for inquiring but we do not do leases like that. You are more than welcome to do a one-pay but we are not set up to do security deposits. I understand what you are trying to do as I have seen others attempt as well but unfortunately that is not something this dealership can do. If you would like to proceed with an 18 month lease with 10k miles per year as a one-pay lease (minus the security deposits), I’d be more than happy to assist you with that process. Thanks for inquiring and let me know if you would like to move forward on the lease.

But the manager is saying he can do MSDs, but, “These are the trickiest deals that Nissan has.” (One-pay + MSDs). We’ll see.

General Exasperation
I’ve leased my last five vehicles. I’ve always been reluctant to enter my information on websites or call dealers because you get hounded. It’s the exact opposite now. I feel like if I don’t hound them, they won’t sell me a car. It’s really weird. But I guess that’s how it is now?

When the market goes back to a more “normal” state and sales staff have to be diligent about following up with customers, it’s going to be painful for them. I guess for now they have more customers than they need so they don’t have to have any sales process.

Just use a broker here friend. Otherwise you’re swimming upstream.

Also in March there were good Murano deals if you didn’t actually want/need a truck. Not sure now.

3 Likes

People might flame me for it but Nissan dealers in general are scum of the earth. I would deal with a broker here over ever dealing with Nissan dealers directly.

2 Likes

I have looked for brokers, but I’m in the Portland, Oregon area. I’ve checked forums here, but otherwise don’t know how to find a broker. Everyone seems to be SoCal/Arizona, Texas, or east coast.

If you know where I can find a broker for buying a car in Portland area (adjacent to Portland in Vancouver, Washington), then point me in the right direction!

He’s just being honest. Some don’t want to deal with the complications with MSDs. Be grateful he’s being upfront and move on.

1 Like

They can always ship you a vehicle

1 Like

I’ve been working on this for almost two weeks now. But now I’m down to the wire. I need to secure a vehicle between Tuesday and Thursday of next week. Then I’m off to Canada for the summer.

Some will accommodate shipping if you’re ok with at your expense

All the more reason to use a broker, but best of luck in the quest regardless.

The salesman was wrong. I think the default response was “we don’t do that.” The sales manager says they do. I get it though, I would also prefer to do the least amount of work necessary.

I worked in dealerships for 7 years though, and at that time if there was a hint of a deal everyone would grind to make it happen.

Use @Clutch . Pay shipping, save time and headache and still come ahead.

2 Likes

This! 1010

1 Like

@Clutch is blowing this out!

1 Like

Use a broker then hit up @Benedetto for shipping

I am looking at Frontiers as well and can relate. We just signed on a great one-pay with MSDs on a Pathfinder for my wife, and it literally took the dealership three whole days to get it figured out. I figured that after going through all that learning, I could get a Frontier from them as well, but the most they could discount it was $500. Anybody that can give a decent discount is unwilling to do the one-pay/msds.

With the cost of gas included, whichever is cheaper between Altima and Murano will have the lowest TCO.

1 Like

If you are willing to go into WA, Bellingham and Kirkland Nissan are pretty decent to work with.

We’re in a very different market environment now. Semi limited supply means they can forgo the difficult deals if they choose to.

1 Like

I’ve looked at the Platinums myself and they’re actually nice (especially compared to the previous gen :nauseated_face:). Which trim did you go with?

I did contact them and they were ready to make a deal with the perfect numbers. Unfortunately, with shipping the vehicle wouldn’t make it in time.

I’m going to buy some cheap junk on Craigslist, and when I have more time I’ll go through Clutch.

1 Like