Why don't brokers post 0 DAS deals?

I feel like all the leases posted on LH by brokers require at lease a couple thousand due at signing but when non-brokers post (i.e., regular folk) it is more likely to be 0 DAS. I feel like it would be easier to see who was offering the best deals if the brokers only posted 0 DAS leases.

Is there a reason they don’t?

1 Like

Most post LH calculator links. It isn’t hard to make it $0 DAS with that. By having some DAS, the payment appears lower.

2 Likes

For the same reason dealers advertise a low payment but then ask a lot at signing. It hooks you in and they hope you don’t know any better and just pay the large DAS amount.

Most of the “experienced” posters here do very little at signing. I never pay the acquisition fee upfront, that’s just dumb. My last volvo i did absolutely zero DAS. This time I did 1.1k but could have easily ask the dealer to do zero DAS.

3 Likes

I do my deals at first month at signing.

But brokers do it the same reason dealers do, to make the price look cheaper. You can always adjust the math yourself…

I considered doing the whole $500 down bs to lower my deals by $20/mo. But see no reason to do that.

The only time I put anything down on my personal leases is if I’m doing msds and I want to get the payment to the nearest $25. And I never recommend my clients to put anything down besides first and my fee of course. If I could roll my fee in for people I would.

If you ask any of the great brokers here they will give you a sign and drive price. Just like a dealer you just have to ask. Difference being dealers will give you a hard time.

13 Likes

Because DAS often includes taxes, registration, etc., which vary dramatically from one state/locale to another.

No one advertising a never-titled car to a broad audience is going to list the price dozens or hundreds of different ways to account for this.

The cars listed by consumers are lease transfers, which is a different type of transaction.

5 Likes

Sorry but from a financial side, you’re just paying more interest on rolling your fees in monthly. You can structure any deal however you want, including with a broker.

If you want the lowest possible cost over 36 months you’re still better doing fees up front, tax structure depends on your state.

None of that is the same as money down or a cap cost reduction which no brokers advertise. (at least none that I’ve read of contacted)

I just try to get the lowest possible cost per month with 0 DAS. I figure my money is doing more for me being invested than putting money down, unless it’s MSDs.

Part of it is advertising, part of it is the calculators, part of it is how folks understand certain lease structures.

For example, the forum (for the most part) is in a place where they understand if a BMW deal is a good deal just knowing the pre-rebate discount % and MF.

Additionally, for an example like a Volvo…85% or more of my clients put down upfronts and first, so for me, it makes sense to advertise that way. If everyone started to ask about or do 0 DAS, I would shape them that way.

6 Likes

Brokers don’t “require” money up front. How you choose to structure the deal is up to you. It’s just common practice for advertised deals here to include certain things DAS. There’s no insidious reason behind it.

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s insidious. It just complicates the analysis and requires more legwork. The benefits of using brokers on the forum are regularly touted and I agree with them for the most part.

1 Like

I always wondered, does clicking the 0 DAS in the calculator also remove the first months payment at signing? The UI isn’t clear about that.

yes that’s right, you pay zero out of pocket and its just sign and drive. You have total 35 payments in that case

1 Like

just add 60 to the monthly, how hard is that? many infact include calculator links too

2 Likes

Cant wait for the reply…“What if is it a 24 month or 39 month lease”? Are there still 35 payments lol

3 Likes

haha… i set myself up for that, didnt i

1 Like

Eh, we can agree to disagree that it complicates a deal. The math is pretty simple.

Posting a 0 DAS is also never going to be the same because every dealer and state is going to have a different fee structure. $0 DAS for dealer 1 at zip code X may yield a different monthly for dealer 2 in zip Y for the exact same vehicle and same discount.

The calculator makes it really easy to take any brokers numbers and adjust them to your preferred structure.

2 Likes

WTF is so hard about clicking 0 DAS on the calculator?

2 Likes

nothing. its more about all the deals looking different on the same car.

DAS + Total of payments / term = payment with just first DAS