Why does the GLC 350e no longer qualify for carpool sticker?

According to DMV eligible vehicle list, the GLC 350e was eligible for 2018 - 2019, but not for 2020.

It seems like California changed the CARB rules and restricted eligibility to under $60,000 msrp for 2020. Maybe that extended to the carpool access too?

As of December 2019, vehicles are required to meet a standard of being able to go at least 35 miles in electric mode. The 350e does not meet the requirement and is no longer eligible.

1 Like

EDIT: wait, the 2020 BMW X3 xDrive30e only get 17 miles on battery, but yet it is listed in DMV Eligible list?

Yes, it looks like the $60K maximum price and 35 miles minimum distance on battery power applies to rebates, not carpool stickers.

1 Like

This is interesting. Per your link, 2 of the conditions that make a car not eligible is because:

• It does not meet the minimum 35 mile electric range requirement (implemented December 3, 2019).
  • It does not have a base Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $60,000 or less

But:

1. 2020 and 2021 BMW X3 xDrive30e - eligible for carpool sticker
  • Base MSRP: $49,600
  • Battery range: 17 miles
  1. 2020 Mercedes GLC 350e - NOT eligible for carpool sticker
  • Base MSRP: $51,900
  • Battery range: 18 miles

Man… what gives…

The 35-mile minimum is based on unadjusted “raw” numbers, not the figure you see on the Monroney.

I believe TZEV emissions standards are also a requirement.

The list at the link is for rebates, not carpool stickers. When i first looked at it, I thought it was for both.

What is this “raw” numbers? I couldn’t find anything about it.

The 2021 BMW xDrive30e use TZEV and is listed as eligible for the carpool sticker.

Looks like the range minimum is for CVRP, not carpool sticker.

GLC 350e is likely not eligible for carpool sticker because it’s not certified as TZEV.

1 Like

BMW X5 45e is up to $85k and eligible for HOV lane access. As is the Tesla Model S and X (can be $100k+)

From what I was told the HOV lane access is all about battery size and have nothing to do with fuel efficiency or range. The new GLC battery is smaller than the X3 or X5.

The 2019 model was eligible and it uses TZEV, but from 2020 it is no longer eligible, so Mercedes must have changed it.

Interesting…

EDIT: nvm… I think @SoCalTravels got the answer.

Yeah, I don’t understand either. Actually glc 350e has larger battery capacity than BMW X3 30e.

You are correct. Then I don’t know the HOV rules. :thinking:

2020 350e - 13.5 kWh
2020 X3 30e - 12 kWh
2021 X5 45e - 24 kWh

I believe it’s the convoluted way the calculate the electric range, GLC about 18/19. X3 24/25 miles. If you click on the numbers link on the webpage, you can read the details.

Which webpage? CARB?

BMW own website stated that the X3 electric range is 17 miles.

So if CARB found that the X3 actually have a longer range than what the manufacturer shown on their website, well, I don’t know what to say…

The website: https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/eligible-carpool-sticker-list

Yeah, that’s the CARB site I mentioned above.

Dunno how they found 25 miles range when BMW said 17 miles. Maybe BMW just being way to conservative?