Why arent leases cheaper now?

Ppl who have multiple cars? I have repeatedly turned in car with 36k limit at 20k - and this was before covid/wfh took place - at that point even 10k started to look like a waste of money to me

5 Likes

I leased a Qx50 for the wife a year ago (May 21) for $324/mth ($12.6k total (39/12)), but those deals are long gone.

3 Likes

Please explain.

Our 3 year old 2019 xc60 has 12,xxx miles and my 2 year old 2020 Subaru just turned over 6k miles. Not everyone drives a lot. 10k is not a low mileage lease IMO. Leasing for me no longer makes sense because we donā€™t drive enough to even justify 7.5k/yr leases.

2 Likes

Wrangler 4xe.
You dont have to order and wait if you can get employee discount.

Some dealers wont give their in stock units at employee price but some do. Ofc you dont get to choose your colors, options etc.

JPGR, iā€™m jealous, I wish i could lease 10k a year. I have two teenage kids that play competitive travel sports, which requires us to drive quite a bit around the Midwest, to practices, to school, etc.

Iā€™m guessing you are in a totally different demographic and situation.

If I were you, I would only have one car. Trust me, if I could ditch cars altogether, I would. They are just expensive, polluting machines. But I live in a suburban environment where you must have a car, period, especially with kids.

2 Likes

As long as used cars are holding their residual values, buying and holding is going to be much cheaper for most of us in the long run.

Means weā€™ll have to deal with maintenance and wonā€™t have nice new shiny cars, but our wallets will thank us.

Yep, we have two kids under 5. Daycare/school/work is all less than 10 miles away. Iā€™m fully remote.

Iā€™d love to go down to one car and sell the Subaru, but itā€™s so damn cheap to maintain and insure, it just doesnā€™t get me much to get rid of (paid off, no lien).

In the meantime, Iā€™ll keep two cars, have 1 payment, and ride out the next 3-5 years and reassess later. Too much going on to spend time on trying to time the auto market, I have better things to spend my time on. :slightly_smiling_face:

Buy a Nissan Pathfinder. An extensive dealer network should help you find a reasonable price. It will make a nice tournament car.

We were a billion miles/year. Eldest got her license. #2 is getting theirs shortly. With two parents WFH we basically do need three cars but the third wonā€™t even see 5k/year.

As of 4 weeks ago you could not even place an order for a Pathfinder. 3 dealers told me the same thing. There was no stock, and even if there was, there would be an ADM, not a discount.

Whatā€™s the point of this thread just order a Nissan or stellantis and get with the program stop bitching not gonna change this insanity

B/c you had started leases shortly b/f the pandemic, had more cars than you ā€œreallyā€ needed, and then sold them all for positive equity?

1 Like

There is a point in leasing right now. Same as it always is. Depreciation costs are fixed. Its just the payments are higher right now. Little to no incentives, selling prices close to or above MSRP, residuals arenā€™t artificially inflated. A lot of people have been cashing in on lease equity.

So you lease what you want for the next 18-36 months at a higher than usual payment and maybe the same car or whatever your looking at will become gradually less expensive.

1 Like

By leveraging leasing, from 2019 to at least 2025, my net expenditures towards vehicles, other than insurance and gas/electricity, will be essentially zero. That would not be the case if I had purchased the vehicles Iā€™ve had/have instead.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s benefits to leasing beyond the financial side of it. The risk offset to the financial company for example - if you get into an accident, you dont take the hit on the residual value, itā€™s the financial companyā€™s problem to deal with.

I currently have an M3 on order which Iā€™ll most likely be buying rather than leasing. I drive less than 7,500 miles a year so it just makes more sense to me to buy it. But i also have a deposit down on an X7 which Iā€™ll most likely be leasing. Anytime my wife wants to go anywhere sheā€™ll be taking the X7, and sheā€™s not the most careful driver. So Iā€™d rather lease it in case of any issues (like the way she decided to side swipe our current X5 against a pole in a parking garage).

Yes but people also overestimate what the risk is.

True, itā€™s about risk tolerance and often times piece of mind. It takes just one fender bender in an expensive car to diminish the value. Depending on anticipated mileage, driving conditions, who the primary driver is, etcā€¦ itā€™s a sliding scale. Thatā€™s why im planning to buy the m3 and lease the x7.

1 Like

This is incorrect. Manufacturers make nothing extra on a dealership selling over MSRP. A few dealers in NYC area have received letters from the manufacturer telling them they need to stop selling over sticker. It hurts their brand. The only profit goes into the dealerships pockets. When the MSRP is X, and a dealer sells at Xplusā€¦the manufacturer loses credibility with customer.

4 Likes

Iā€™m not talking about dealer markups. Iā€™m speaking of selling at MSRP with no factory incentives or dealer discounts.