Which vehicle would you recommend for daily driving but also towing a boat?

So i’m trying to future proof some of my next purchases and I know that I want to get a fishing boat in the next few years, likely a center console, possible pilot house and 22-26 ft. I’m also in the market for a new car so I’m wondering what are some good options for me to get as my daily driver while being able to tow a fishing boat couple times a month. Work commute is 50/50 local/hwy and about 15 miles each way.

Roughly how much does that kind of boat / trailer weigh?

Toyota Tundra or a :taco:

2 Likes

The Highlander is something of a middle ground in being a decent daily driver and can tow 5k pounds with its v6. I’d guess a 22 foot boat would be a 4k or so pouds leaving you some capacity for fuel and equipment on the boat.

Any heavier and you probably want a body on frame truck. I personally wouldn’t want to DD a large pick up but I also bought a sedan so I’m clearly not a representative American.

The best leases are usually 2-3 years so maybe too early to shop towing. Super happy with my sharp ‘19 Tacoma that tows my 18.5’ Ranger Comanche just fine (6,800 lbs capacity). The Tacoma and Tundra lease very well because they’re reliable and older designs.

2 Likes

FYI, a boat this size will likely be in the 5000-6000lb range when filled w/ gas/water and gear.

You’re either looking at a pickup or a mid-large size SUV.

1 Like

If i go for the full 26’ boat they roughly weigh 5,000 lbs then add trailer weight, oil, fuel etc, probably running to 6500-7500 lbs

Right, so…what are some good candidates for pickup/large suv? Tundra/Sequoia is what comes to mind but im sure some of the f150 and silverado 1500 are good candidates as well. But they have so many engine options its got me scratching my head.

That pretty well eliminates anything but full body-on-frame stuff, no? Narrows the field, but they become pretty pricey to daily drive with fuel and the consumables which things that weigh 6,000 pounds devour. If you’re more than 24 months out, I’d consider getting a 24-month lease on something that isn’t made for towing and then get the V8 Dead Dinousaur Hoover then.

Of course, just my opinion.

:bat:

1 Like

If you want to go the two car route some of the base Tacomas with the v6 are cheap leases and can tow up to 6400 pounds. Although it sounds like you might need a Tundra or full half ton truck.

Explain daily driver requirements. My daily driver needs to be as comfortable as possible, number of people that will ride it and space since the family travels alot except camping, we only go to hotel. Get Atlas, pilot for comfort, and tocoma and tundra for real deal.

A friend of mine got a Highlander few years ago for the same purpose. Tows 25’ boat with it. Has been happy so far.

Don’t forget the two best days of boat ownership and the 3 F’s! :speedboat::small_airplane::lips:

3 Likes

Durango or Grand Cherokee. Civilized and compact enough to be a daily driver. Can tow over 6,000 lbs with the V6 and over 7,000 lbs with the HEMI. Shame the diesel is no longer available.

What about a used Cayenne Diesel, second gen Touareg TDI, or ML350 Bluetec, or is that a terrible idea? :laughing:

I went and looked at that vw touareg, guy ended up selling it later that night. I ended up going two car route. found a 2007 tundra with 38k miles, one only, dealer maintained, clear title and carfax.

I ain’t rich, but I damn sure wanna be
Working like a dog all day ain’t working for me
I wish I had a rich uncle that’d kick the bucket
And I was sitting on a pile like Warren Buffett
I know everybody says
Money can’t buy happiness

But it could buy me a boat, it could buy me a truck to pull it

I guess we’ve become MySpace where 12-year-olds post song lyrics they find philosophical?

—Tom

:bat:

Dude it’s Friday and Off Ramp. Will consult with you before posting anything that doesn’t meet your standards…

Have you considered an Armada?

Acura MDX 2020202020