Where is auto market headed?

That was a drop in the bucket compared to the financial crisis which led to a massive drop in new car sales, which naturally reduced used car inventory down the line.

1 Like

Thats true. the cash for clunkers gave a little push to new car sales because the gov only gave credit toward buying a new car if I remember correctly.

My baby has been retired

2 Likes

It doesn’t matter because everyone else is printing. If you look at the FX rate, they would rather have our printed currency over anyone else.

Ah yes, otherwise known as The Cave Theory

1 Like

We retired the Trophy Garage?

I think we can all agree no one on this forum is an economics expert so even if you’re a “trusted hacker” you are still speculating like the rest of us. It’s basic supply vs demand. If the factories are forced to remain closed and supply dries up then there will be an increase in price with dealers less willing to reduce their profit. If the factories open back up but your region is hit with massive unemployment increases then the customer pool will evaporate and dealers will have to cut deals to move their inventory. It’s possible that in the long run dealers may opt to return the inventory but before it gets to that point there will be an opportunity to buy. It’s also possible that manufacturers help out dealerships via rebates.

That said the real deals will be seen in the housing market later in the year if this current situation plays out beyond a few more weeks.

It’s kind of a funny question to ask a bunch of people that do their best to A) Avoid sales reps at all costs. An B) nickel and dime for the best deal possible which is usually a losing deal for the dealer. Then to add insult to injury now feeling bad that sales reps are burning through savings to stay afloat. Many of my close friends that are car sales reps know the volatility in the industry but love the upside of a good year. Industry’s will adapt (WFH), overcome or will disappear. This happens without viruses, top heavy markets and under just about every President.

1 Like

Who said we weren’t?

1 Like

Many sales reps over here are getting blown out. One of my MB guys got launched 30 minutes ago. Lexus store laid off 60% of its’ sales team, and many others doing the same. It’s a bad time to be working in a dealership.

1 Like

One good thing is if they can sell cars they can sell anything, and will take a hit for a little bit but will land back on their feet.

3 Likes

And this sucks big time for me because I have 2 houses to unload. So maybe I don’t need a new lease after all. :frowning:

Got a somewhat interesting form email today from Criswell saying the MD governor has given dealers permission to keep sales and service open. I’m curious how many states are doing that. Makes me wonder what the heck the point of a “shutdown” is when not everyone plays ball.

We retired the original landfill :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha, was just joking about the trophy garage being your baby :wink:

1 Like

I was going to wait until April to lease my Bolt EV thinking that there may be better incentives but according to you it sounds like I should sign on the deal I put together before the end of the month.

I got 2 babies

2 Likes

We humans calls them “cubs”. Mad respect: they both resemble you sir. :heart_eyes::baby_symbol::bear::trophy::baby_symbol::bear::racing_car:

Free advice from a random Internet weirdo: if you NEED a car and you feel it’s a good deal, take the deal. If you don’t NEED a car, wait. Don’t wait because you need something in April, you have a good deal, and you are HOPING :crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2: to benefit financially & immediately, from the blood in the streets. Wealth wears Loubitan, trash make their own. :red_circle::high_heel::moneybag:;:drop_of_blood::athletic_shoe::money_with_wings:

2 Likes

Are you calling me trash if I choose to wait, regardless of my reasoning? I don’t NEED a car however I am still waiting for my EV rebate and sure I could use something a little more reliable for my essential job right now. As for me hoping to benefit financially & immediately from the blood in the streets… that never once crossed my mind. Unfortunately, I missed out on the January deals and being in healthcare, the last person I’m putting ahead of everyone else right now is myself.

That and my birthday is in April and I would really like to purchase my first new vehicle on my actual birthday. Incentives are nice however it’s not the only thing steering my decision however if I lose my ability to lease by waiting until April then what is the point even.

1 Like

They are not twins, btw. Far from it.

1 Like