Where do you invest your money?

It’s an unstable cryptocurrency, it’s nature is inherently unstable and decentralized.

The day bitcoins becomes regulated and centralized (and by some sort of measure stable) its original idea dies.

1 Like

All of those posts are from 2020. Nothing there shows you’ve been in btc for years. In fact you quoted yourself in May saying you were skeptical about it. Not sure what you’re trying to prove? You are a better investor than anyone here? Because boasting about fantasy returns adds so much value to this thread. I’m just concerned people are actually listening to things like the DOW is going to 12k. You clearly have some issues to work through, until then, muted. :kissing_heart:

Not sure why you’re quoting me, but, yeah, I’d agree with you!

Bitcoin will probably never be regulated nor centralized and that’s why people like it. It’s outside the Feds hands and they can’t touch it! Bitcoin is secured code backed by the blockchain. What is the USD based off of? It’s definitely not GLD.

2 Likes

Never got into btc but had a few altcoins. Just sold them all from beg January to two days ago. Good move or not, not sure what Bidens agenda is with the cryptos and regulation. Could have kept some but decided to divest for now. Check some chinese stocks too. Got into Baba when i went close to 200. Def should have a huge run with new admin. Plenty beaten down chinese stocks, just make sure its not one of the usual scams. Oil and retail depends on the companies will be good as well. EV stocks def something to invest in. And def the Biotech. I have a love and hate relationship with SRNE. One of my most profitable trades for 2020. Then i got into it again below 9 and sold at a loss around 7, 75% of it. This week it went over 9.50. It is what it is.

That makes sense. I’ve purposely been focusing on derivatives in the hopes of a broader market that could get the jump before all the tobacco companies get on board. I guess for what I have invested it doesn’t hurt to just hang in there.

While this thread is not financial advice, it’s a place we can share and discuss our strategies, first let me share some LOLz

And a not-surprising survey

Last week, after much consternation, and in consultation with my financial planner (always good to have someone to talk you off the ledge, or persuade), I exited any baskets that have become overweight tech (eg SPY, but others) and participated in the great rotation (added names I own: Kimberly Clark, Visa, Costco, Pfizer, Amazon). I did not sell any individual names — 0.12% of the S&P500 companies accounting for 24% of the valuation doesn’t work for me right now.

I am still sitting on close to 30% in cash equivalents, I have some in CDs at nearly 3% maturing this year, the rest is paying squat. Obviously I would like to put that to work, maybe if we get a market correction this year.

6 Likes

Similar to you, I have pretty sizable holdings in V, COST and AMZN as well (also MA), and am sitting on a ton of cash. I haven’t exited SPY/VOO or large cap tech, but am just adding more money elsewhere. I did just exit hydrogen energy (BE, PLUG) last week but am holding onto XOM. I’m likely riding marijuana stocks for a couple years (super green on them right now – no pun intended).

I’m also pretty heavy in miners (gold, silver). I think gold will continue rising as we continue pumping more money into the recovery. I’m also heavily invested in T, as I think the outlook is good and am happy collecting a dividend as we go after 5G.

Your strategy seems pretty strong. I do think the Russell 2000 will outperform the S&P500 this year.

2 Likes

Everything you said, except

I dumped that in 2019 and the last of my Chevron in 2020. Not that oil won’t be a thing, but we’re in another consolation phase while prices don’t merit production at capacity. Even with a good cost basis I didn’t see these doing anything for the foreseeable future.

This is both personal and objective, T is trash. They bought and ruined DirecTV to secure the dividend, their home fiber service is great, it’s less than 10% of that line of business (most is still UVerse which stinks). Wireless is wireless, changing a bit with Tmo/Sprint merger, but revenue side is a race to the bottom, costs for expanding infrastructure are growing, and every buildout starting with TDMA was botched (when they rolled out 3G and LTE I had tower maps where I lived and worked). Fine once it was fixed, but they don’t invest in testing/tuning, they let customers test and suffer. Don’t get me started on how awful their business wireless management is, I looked at switching last year, could not get my numbers ported, and spent 6 months closing and reclosing the zombie account I could never use, in a portal that was poorly made for 100k employee companies to provision devices.

This version of ATT is just SBC + Cingular, whose stock performance is as lumpy as their leadership.

The sin stocks, MJ and gambling, could really pop if the incoming administration cleans up the current regulations. My FP talked me in Draft Kings right before the election, up 52%.

I bought at the bottom so I feel like I’ve gotta ride the wave and see what happens. I didn’t buy a whole lot of it (4 figures), but am kind of eager to break above $55-60. If it rides its way back down to $40, I’ll probably just cut and move on.

You’re not wrong, but I do love a good comeback story. It’s a fun stock to sell options against since it doesn’t fluctuate all that much. If we breach $35, I’ll take my profit and run.

Sin stocks are purely funny money. I haven’t played gambling much but sold my Draft Kings stocks and moved into BFT the first week of the year. No real reason other than the desire to take profits and speculate. I do think Marijuana is legit, though. I’ve got a few dozen leaps that were pretty cheap when I bought them, so I’m hoping to cash in pretty big in 2022 and 2023.

1 Like

The problem with that is the bubble inflation process. A few years before the dot com crash many mentioned the obvious bubble and exited…they got the correction they wanted but 3-4 years later and the lows were about where they originally sold anyway. It’s tricky to say the least.
There was an article on SA recently about how an account would have performed if one invested at market peaks…the numbers were just slightly under the average. Moral of the story was, obviously, buy and hold.
Sitting on mostly cash too until I decide which way to go here…so I’m in the worst possible position currently.

3 Likes

I’m right there with you! I think slowly moving money in on red days is a good way to approach it. At least, that’s how I’ve approached it!

2 Likes

TikTok investors are a different breed. “it’s so easy”. Reminds me of the good old days when people were getting into Forex trading and everyone was saying it’s easy.

3 Likes

Ethereum is what I invest my money in.

1 Like

I sold VTI in Feb due to seeing the coronavirus in the news, SP500 near ~3200. Bought a bit of it back at ~2300 and thought I was a genius. Then watched it rise up to 3400 before I finally bought back in. I lost out overall on the transaction. Timing the market is tough.

2 Likes

In my humble opinion… Traditionally S & P 500 will fluctuate. But over the years, the index has returned consistently 10-12% annually year after year over the long peiouds of time!

AKA Warren Buffet’s time tested investment advice and what I hold true to as well.

I finally sold the last of my T after holding it for years waiting for a breakout that never came. I would agree, I think they have way too many deep rooted fundamental issues that will make it very difficult for the stock to do anything but tread water for some time…

Agreed. I moved a bit of my large cap index fund in to a russell index fund Q4 last year. So far happy with the decision.

My cost basis on rds.b is around $25. I had planned on holding it for quite some time and wait around the dividend to creep back up to pre-covid levels. Now I’m not so sure that will ever happen. Considering exiting the whole thing for a decent gain in 6 months’ time.

Well put.
This is the problem with trying to time the market, especially a bubble, you have to be right twice. History shows you’re better off just averaging in and riding the ups and downs rather that sitting on the sidelines waiting for a correction and that perfect time to jump in :slight_smile:

I’ve been a V shareholder since IPO. This is the first time where I can honestly say I think the valuation is stretched. Average PE typically runs low 30’s, currently, it’s north of 40 (and got as high as 46-47 a month ago). Even if V continues to grow earnings as projected (5.5eps this year, 6.84eps next), and you take the reversion to the mean approach with pe, that puts the stock at 33*6.84 = ~225 through next year. That’s only about a 12-13% move over the next two years, in total returns (+dividend, which is small). I still like V a lot, but I’m torn on what to do at these valuation levels, even if I’m bullish on earnings growth, god forbid they miss a couple quarters coming up…

1 Like

If only it was that easy. In reality this doesn’t take into account all the stocks that were delisted from the s&p over the years. To get that 10% you need someone who really knows how to rebalance each year. This also doesn’t account for inflation so hack 3-4% off that 10-12% gainz.