Where do you invest your money?

This was my mindset. Just started my career and 30. Just started my 401K and wanting to buy in this market due to prices. Besides that, I started an HSA and have my own investment account through Vanguard. I am not interested in Roth IRA (backdoor 6k/yea) only because I want to start saving capital and look at other adventures such as real estate-just trying to find a way to accelerate the financial indepdence plan because even hypothetically 20 properities and your netting 350/month per property after mortgage/tax/etc. is 7k/month. Take that and equate that to whatever your lifestyle is.

Wellā€¦ if you bring Russian into the foldā€¦ lately (since Feb 24th), there are plenty of high-ranking people dying ā€œsuddenlyā€ there, be it for crypto, army, banking etcā€¦

9 Likes

whereā€™s the dope that always defends crypto as the future of the economy at these days?

Crypto is the future. The fed and big banks are busy implementing it right now. Just depends which formats they decide on.

I believe weā€™re at conspiracy theorists 13, normies 0 over the last 5 years. :joy:

https://www.reuters.com/markets/currencies/banking-giants-new-york-fed-start-12-week-digital-dollar-pilot-2022-11-15/

1 Like

And here I thought we were done with COVIDā€¦. Might as well milk the cow while they can.

2 Likes

Could you fill me in on this plan a bit? Youā€™re 30 years old and sounds like youā€™re trying to hit that FIRE life well before the traditional retirement ages.

Doesnā€™t 20 properties in 20ish or less years sound a bit overly optimistic? Also, Iā€™d certainly hope a multi-million dollar investment like that (plus the hassle of managing all those properties) would net me much more than $7k/mo?

I used to make 10-12k a month on 7 properties all under 250k each. The good old days of real estate investing. I couldnā€™t imagine trying to break into this market today. Doesnā€™t seem wiseā€¦

5 Likes

What happened to those properties?

Sold. Couldnā€™t pass up this market as a time to get out. Landlord was nice when I was young and lived close to the properties, but dealing with tenants is a general pain in the ass.

12 Likes

Iā€™ve got friends trying and it definitely looks sketchy for them. Iā€™ve got a coworker (same age and started around the same time) who elected to skip on 401k contribution entirely (including our 6% match) to buy a property to rent out. They got the property pre-pandemic and took about 6 months to get it into rentable shape. Itā€™s working out alright for them, as he says he just started to turn a profit earlier this year.

They just bought property #2 in May, which theyā€™re living in. Profit from #1 was used to buy #2 with the thought they could get a renter in the second bedroom to recover the profit and some extra. Well, here we are in almost December with no renter and they bought at almost peak prices. Iā€™m sure the $500/mo HOA isnā€™t helping.

And thats what Iā€™m seeing firsthand

2 Likes

There needs to be good timing in buying RE. If you are renting, there is a CAP rate that should be calculated. ( Capitalization Rate = *Net Operating Income / Purchase Price)

If these things are not ā€œplanned outā€ then you are at the mercy of building cheap/free equity at a minimum.

2 Likes

FET only stock I hold.

Everything else in commercial real estate in warehousing (triple net leases).

Key phrase is *trying * lol. I have spent a few months researching and many people talk about the benefits about real estate. I do a lot of 1099 stuff on the side and for me, I am going to get hit hard with a tax bill because my write offs are very limited so hence the goal for next year is property #1 to start offsetting my income. You are 100% correct in that its optimistic and that the goal is more than $7k/month. You obviously will make more as each year paid down by tenant gains you more equity into the property and then appreciation and subsequently can do a 1031 exchangeā€¦rinse and repeat. I am trying to be as passive as possible so with management/property fees include and if my CoC can still be around 8-10%, I will gladly take that margin. Again, it sounds great in theory but who knows :slight_smile:

can you explain how someone gets into commercial real estate in warehousing leasing or just commerical leasing? I tried to find sites or groups and goal was try to aim for ā€œsilent investorā€ strategy but just havenā€™t had luck. Or is it one of those word of mouth things?

Word of mouth and enough capital to do it.
Itā€™s cheaper to start with residential rentals. Cap rates of 3-5% are typical of so.cal. But can be in double digits elsewhere.

Iā€™d say about 3-5 properties itā€™s worth trying to get a management company that has their own vendors. As they eat up a lot of profit.

To think you will have equity of substance is at the mercy of the market. On a 30yr fix loan the first 10 yrs is mainly interest.

1 Like

Iā€™ve said it here before but the best way to break into real estate investing is to buy a triplex using an fha loan, live there a year, rinse and repeat. My wife and myself moved 4 times in 5 years as I bought, renovated, then moved into another property. Technically youā€™re supposed to live there 1 year but no one really cares at the banks Iā€™ve found. I left after 6 months from some properties. You can always say circumstances changed and I need more space etc.

You only need 3.5% down to do this Vs the normal 20-25% the banks require to buy a rental property. I donā€™t know many people that have an extra 100k laying around in their 20s to start investing but 10-15k is very doable. I actually started using my student loan refund checks to renovate my first house. At least college did something for me!

The biggest issue I see now is no inventory for these types of properties in areas I want to live. So if I was to do it all over again, options are move elsewhere, or remotely invest (risky). Itā€™s always best to start in the market you know and live in.

9 Likes

I gotcha. I personally think Iā€™ve missed the train on real estate investment (I wasnā€™t even really in the position to buy until recently), unless the market comes back to something reasonable. At this point, I just want a house for myself - Iā€™m getting tired of this apartment living.

Even through all this economic up and down, my 401k and personal stock investing has been doing good enough so Iā€™ll probably stick with that until more opportunities pop up.

We really have such a wealth of information from a ton of users on here. You guys constantly provide great advice and insight.

7 Likes

I wouldnā€™t be in a hurry to buy at these prices. Be patient and youā€™ll likely get rewarded. Keep saving for a down payment as rates might be high for awhile.

2 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s what Iā€™m doing. I can bite the higher interest rates for a while, but Iā€™m still waiting on the prices around here to come down. People are starting to realize the sh*tholes for $800k arenā€™t selling anymore, so Iā€™m seeing big price drops on those. I just need the ā€œmedium remodelā€ places to come down too.

I appreciate the words of wisdom you all provide in these threads