Where do people sell used cars these days?

Well, eBay fees are only $125 for car listings since I’m not a dealer.
But anyway, I was in a weird place with my car needs- wanted to take advantage of a deal on a BMW/MINI, need a car in PA for 3 more weeks but expected my Honda to take a while to sell, but also wanted to not have to stress about buying a car in the 4 days between when I arrive in FL and when I have to start work. So yeah, I know I’m gonna take a hit on selling for exactly what I want, but the dealers know with all the extra stuff my car has, its low miles and great condition they’ll sell it for a big profit. And it’s still CPO’ed.
I’ll bow to the Carmax/Carvana gods if it’s not sold in 3 weeks and know I did all I could.

It’s amazing to me how little value people place on their time. I always figure any type of hassle is $50 / hour.

So if I save two hours, but “lose” $100, I broke even.

Selling a car privately is a huge time sink. Cleaning, showing it to random jagoffs, cleaning it again. It wears me out just thinking about it.

1 Like

I sold a car for above $14k that carmax offered 8k for :man_shrugging:

Before I started leasing 4-5 years ago I always sold my cars on Craigslist. If prices right cars under $20k always sell. I’m in a major city though, would imagine middle of the country would be harder. Philly, I have buyers from nj, ny, md, even New England if it was a rare car. I typically had amgs, and bmw m’s so that’s a niche market that people will pay for. But I’ve sold other common cars in there as well.

Side note, Craigslist is finally charging $5 for car sales as of this month!

Jagoffs- are you a Yinzer?? :stuck_out_tongue: Go Stillers!

I value my time as high as you do yours! I just thought $2k was an awful lot of money to give away.

1 Like

I saw, actually I listed my Civic before the $5 hit and to renew they asked for $5 now! Cargurus is free still and so is Cars.com shrugs I’m being cheap because I just looked at my loan payback amounts hahahha

Many years ago I sold a very odd ball car on ebay, and since I listed it on ebay I actually got top dollar for it(was able to have a broader audience) . It was a 1998 or 99 Crown Vic CNG only. I had bought it at auction, it was from a local municipality in the Denver metro area. It had super low mileage but a strange bondo repair on the roof that failed(never fixed it). All said and done, I drove it for a couple years then sold it on ebay and made a crap ton, I cleared $5k(bought for $3k and sold it for $8k after driving it for a couple years) The buyer was in Utah, they had some crazy rebate on CNG vehicles, didn’t matter if it was used either, it just couldn’t have been previously titled in Utah.

Best part about that car was everyone got out of your way.

2 Likes

Grew up in NE Ohio. Transplanted to SoCal. But still have my roots with yins guys back east. :sunglasses:

Edit: I forgot: the Stillers can eat a :eggplant:
Go Browns!

:bat:

You lost me there.

PS: the Real Browns are the Ravens :slight_smile:

the best price i got was selling on autotrader.com

This is why I lease. None of this trade-in/private party/shopping around BS.

1 Like