Where do people sell used cars these days?

Credit unions are a great resource for financing private party deals, another good reason to finance a car through one. Makes it allot easier to facilitate a transaction if they hold the title or you. And they don’t tend to be a’holes like banks. Just noticed the previous post…lol

1 Like

Sold two cars on Craigslist. Weird place to go but it works. Got $3k more than what Vroom and Carvana were offering. The best part?? It’s FREE and it only took me from posting it on Friday night to selling it on Tuesday.

Took a little longer on the first one since it was a Beetle Turbo. Sold it in three weeks.

Make sure you take great pictures (24 pictures allowed - way more than needed) and be as concise as possible.

1 Like

Sold my 2017 Silverado recently on CarGurus free listing. Took less than 2 weeks to find a buyer. Also posted on Facebook, autotrader, cars.com, and Craigslist with no luck.

These days people seem to think fully loaded means A/C, leather and power windows. This is a test- if you think that equates to a fully loaded car then you failed the test!

1 Like

I sold 3 used cars, bought 2 used ones and found my girlfriend on craigslist… Fully loaded…

7 Likes

Loaded on what? Tequila? Whiskey? Vodka?

Try OfferUp and other phone selling apps as well as CL, FB etc… you need blanket coverage, make sure you have good pics. Don’t sell to Nigerian Princes unless they really need an Audi.

4 Likes

Also fully loaded today means something totally different than 5 years ago. ~30k Family sedans can now include things like pano sunroof, HUD, ventilated seats, wireless phone charging, brake hold, 360 camera, parking sensors, high quality leather, advanced head units, heated rear seats etc…(admittedly this is an amalgamation of Mazda 6, Camry, Accord and Altima features but each car offers many of these).

So that five year old Benz may have been well equipped (probably not fully though) when purchased but now it has significantly fewer features than a 30k new car.

I sold a very similar car to OP’s last month. 2013 Audi A6 3.0T Quattro premium plus with 69k miles. Not fully loaded but in excellent condition. New tires, new brakes, etc. I live in NJ and saw it was selling in the 17k range.

Carmax offered 14k while Carvana was a few hundred less, and Vroom was 13k. I tried to trade it in when I leased a BMW last month and they wouldn’t give me over 12,500, so I sold it to Carmax. The Carmax experience was very straightforward and pleasant.

A week later Carmax hat it listed for close to 20k and now the price says N/A so maybe they sold it? Maybe I could have gotten closer to 16k if I tried to sell it myself but it didn’t seem worth the hassle. Just another reason to lease and not buy a new car.

I agree - a friend has an 2014 X6M which has fewer features than our 2018 Highlander XLE lol

You don’t mean always best for every car, right? If so, I definitely disagree. Given my state’s sales tax credit on trade-ins, once I cross over the $1k tax benefit line, I’m trading. The effort and expense of selling myself for just a few hundred bucks extra is not worth it.

of course not every situation can fit into that bucket. But a majority private party value versus trade in value, I usually see a $3000 to $4000 difference. Different in some states when it comes to tax credits of course.

In California for example we don’t have tax credits when trading in vehicles.

I love the term tax credit in this context. It’s not a tax credit, California is double taxing you.

1 Like

Has anybody had any experience selling their car on eBay privately?

I’m highly considering it, as I own a Civic Si which doesn’t get a ton of traction locally because not a ton of people drive manuals anymore.

I’m most concerned about the title transfer and getting paid. Would appreciate any experiences by folks here!
Thanks,

Jake
P.S. I checked Carvana and Vroom already, and with two local Honda dealers. Carmax is about 2 hours away so not terribly convenient at the moment. They’re all offering less than I’d like to get, especially as I’ve already leased a car and won’t get any tax incentive from a trade in to a dealer.

Aren’t we all in the same boat?

1 Like

LOL right you are. My exact car is for sale at my Honda dealer for $15995, has 2k miles less than mine. They offered $12k trade in… I’d love to be mid private-party range and that’s not too much to ask I don’t think.

If you do private sale, sure. But you are not happy with trade-ins, which are obviously always lower.

Yeah, I was more asking about peoples experiences with title transfers and private-party cashier’s checks for out of state sales were. Because I can’t seem to find anything good online or on PA’s DMV.

It’s not. That said, your car is worth just as much as someone is willing to pay you. Could you get 14k…maybe…maybe not.

Call me crazy, but it seems like a ton of effort to make another $2000 or so, which is likely about as much more as you’d get. Especially after you factor in eBay fees.

I’d have taken the $12k and run. Maybe tried to bump them $500 higher.

1 Like