When negotiating price off MSRP do you include TTL?

Hey so i’ve been reading up a lot on the deals people are getting off on various RAM Models and it’s pretty common knowledge that they are getting anywhere from 25-30% off MSRP.

My question is this, are you including tax title and license when you negotiate? Or are you negotiating off the “sales” price of the car excluding tax title license?

Thanks hackers

MSRP doesn’t include tax, title or license. You negotiate off the number you see printed on the sticker.

1 Like

What RAM is selling at a 30% discount? Source?

1 Like

@chrishs2000 i think it’s pretty common knowledge around here that if you’re not getting atleast 25% off MSRP on a RAM you’re not getting a good deal.

Common knowledge around here? I haven’t seen any deals on a RAM anywhere close to the discounts you are saying.

6 Likes

Most dealers will not negotiate off of TTL. We can’t control what local governments choose to charge in their respective community. Work your deals off of MSRP.

2 Likes

Guess I’m dumb. Good luck!

1 Like

In June there was a 15% manufacture incentive/rebate across the board on all Ram models, when combined with 15% dealer discount, people were getting 30% off on purchases… on a lease you can probably get 30% off when you combine incentives/rebates on Big horn trim. There is also big IDL bonus cash if your using a third party finance company. Only negative on all of this is RV sucks on most models… but no no way will you get 30% off just in dealer discount…

1 Like

Always negotiate OTD or Cap Cost with all inceptions capitalized.

Any other way you make yourself crazy.

To answer your question. Yes the dealer marks up tag and title. So you want to negotiate that number.

But rather than fight line by line the contract. Just talk bottom line. They will get to your number one way or another.

Fighting each line should be reserved for final b*** busting negotiations.

This is 100% incorrect. Dealers cannot mark up the tag, title or taxes.

4 Likes

So what is it then guys? When you are negotiating to purchase do you negotiate the absolute final number or do you negotiate the sales price off MSRP?

For example, you go into the deal with the mindset you want 30% off MSRP what do you do? negotiate the sales price or the out the door cost?

With that mindset, I’d prepare to be ignored.

5 Likes

I don’t know how accurate TrueCar is these days, but they show ~5% off MSRP as the market average.
Anyway, you negotiate the selling price of the car (pre-incentive), and the MF (need to know the base MF from Edmunds). Use Edmunds and others as a way to gauge the available discount.

Where did you find 30% off MSRP on a new RAM? If you want to link us to it, that’d be nice.

I negotiate pre-incentive price and I do some based on reasonable numbers based on lots of research. Shooting way too high won’t get you anywhere.

In Florida they mark up tag and title all the time. They also add things like electronic filing fees, doc prep, dealer fees etc.

How do they get away with it? It’s called tag agency fees.

I imagine in other states this type of stuff is regulated, not down here.

Trucks are a different beast. I read somewhere that truck customers are accustomed to huge discounts. So the MSRP is inflated. How to get to 30% off?

Rebates
Dealer incentives
And MSRP added value discounts for certain packages selected

This is the deceptive part about truck pricing. Add over priced option and then get park of it back in added savings. Lol

Don’t forget to negotiate for your 30% in person:

“35k MSRP? i GiVe YoU 25 cAsH! 25 aLl CaSh!”

Then we reach my favorite car stories: when the Sales Manger tells you to GTFO! :clap:t2::clap:t2:

1 Like

Hey @jeisensc Jeisen. Can you explain what you mean by negotiate price before incentives? I’m looking at a 48k MSRP Ram 1500. I went to edmunds and got the residual value on this trim at 36/15 at 46% with a MF of .00017.

The rep at edmunds also mentioned that the “total cash includes 8,750”. So are you saying these are the incentives? Theoretically I could negotiate the sales price down to 35k then get another 8,750 in bonus cash?

I went to the dealer yesterday and got the sales price down to 31k but they were manipulating the payment on me and trying to play games with a lease. At first the gentleman told me that they don’t discount off msrp on a lease, to which I told him that’s just not right. They then get the truck down to 31k but are still fudging the representation of the monthly payment. Thanks sir!

@mm453 Always negotiate a dealer discount before incentives are applied for a Ram at minimum i would wan’t a 10% dealer discount.

1 Like

No because I can’t take your example seriously.

I don’t know (nor care tbh) which ram 1500 you are looking at, but TrueCar says (for me)

So here on Earth you negotiate 45,235 down to/below 42,403 (not 30% off) THEN you deduct the incentives.

You don’t just ask for the number without knowing the incentives or the dealer will start at msrp minus incentives. Plenty of “deals” posted here have been: MSRP - incentives with 0 discount.

Once you are negotiating discount with incentives together it just gets conflated.

1 Like