When exactly does mercedes not charge early buy-out penalty? Should I take the money and run?

Hey guys. I have 6 months left on my mercedes lease (end date is around Jan 15, 2022). I have a ton of miles left since I did not drive much due to covid. I wanted to find out if I will come out ahead if I sell the car to vroom or carvana instead of simply turning the car in. Looks like I might. But I had some questions and would like to hear your thoughts

Carvana is willing to pay me $30K
Mercedes pay-off quote is $29K

So I called Mercedes to see find out how exactly they came up with $29K. And here is a rough breakdown - Car cost left $25K, $1K (4% early penalty), $600 disposition, $2.4K in taxes.

Questions and dilemma

• If I let Carvana buy this out for me, I will not be charged the $2.4K taxes in the pay-off, correct? So, the real pay-off to Mercedes is $26.6K ($29K minus $2.4K in tax)? By selling to Carvana for $30K, I end up pocketing $3.4K. Is that a correct understanding?
  • Now, should I wait a few more months so the early penalty fee and disposition fee will no longer be charged. If so, when exactly does Mercedes not charge early buy-out penalty? 60 days within lease end date? 30 days within lease end date?
  • What if I make the 5 payments right now that are left? Will they not charge me the early buy-out penalty? May be it doesn’t work that way I guess, right? : )
  • I don’t have plans to drive much in the next 6 months as well. So I am probably not going to use more than like 1K miles. Is it too risky to wait it out for say 4-5 months? In 4 months, if carvana’s price drops from $30K to say $29K, I might still be ahead by not paying the $1.6K in fees today ($1K early penalty plus $600 disposition) and also get to keep the car for 6 more months. But is it too risky to wait? Should I take the money run? Thoughts?

I don’t know if MBFS is doing third-party buyouts right now, you’ll need to search around.

Two things: you need to call MBFS for the dealer (tax free) payoff, it’s not always calculable by hand. And, there is (usually) no disposition fee or penalties if you buy a lease out. Dispo is generally only paid when you return a lease at term. A fee could be baked into the dealer payoff amount.

They stopped, along with transfers.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I thought they only stopped lease transfers? Did they stop 3rd party buyouts too? That will really mess my plan, wouldnt it lol

Ouch. Was it recent? I remember speaking to swappalease few months ago, and the swappalease agent said that only transfers are not allowed my mercedes and swappalease can still facilitate like a dealer so I dont have to pay tax! Is that incorrect?

Oh by the way, the contract definitely has a 4% early buy-out fee and vehicle turn-in if fee under “Standard Lease - Early Purchase Option Price” clause

So that’s came up before and isn’t in all mb contracts. Seems to be state dependent.

Shoot. That sucks!

Btw, the last 3 posts in the below thread indicate that 3rd party/dealer buyout is still possible?

Read the very first post in that thread.

Ask MBFS for your third-party payoff and see what they say.

OP in that thread confirmed at the end that he was able to sell the car to carmax. I got dealer payoff quote from MBFS a few days back and they didn’t tell me about any restriction. Having said that it’d be good to confirm with MBFS as this can change any time.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.