What's the deal with the Honda Clarity Electric?

This weekend I tried getting a Honda Clarity full electric. No dealership even had one that I could test drive. Many dealerships even told me they aren’t “allowed” to sell it. Anyone knows why it’s become such a “rare” car?

I did a quick search and found 22 of them, all in California. Looks like it’s just a compliance car to meet emission standards in CA? I don’t know why they wouldn’t be “allowed” to sell it though.

How did you do the search? Apologies if this is a beginner’s question

Similar to its Fit EV predecessor, the Clarity BEV is lease only. I heard it’s due to its low production and Honda not wanting to produce/maintain the parts on shelf requirement if the vehicles were sold.

I just used Cargurus and put my (NJ) zip code in. Returned no hits but gave me the nationwide results instead.

Yeah I thought it was just lease only right? it was $199 per month with $1499 DAS.

I thought there was a waitlist? I know I contacted Culver City Honda who emailed to say they’ve added me to their waitlist…uuh back in July last year. Unsurprisingly I’ve heard nothing since.