What's more beneficial 2yr or 3 yr lease

19Year:
Make, Model, and Trim: toy taco tss off-road
Months/Annual Mileage: 24/15 or 36/15
Zip Code: @265 all in

If the monthly is close I personally always would go for 24 months. You’re effectively always driving a newer car for the same price. Also odds are less you’ll need new tires or an expensive maintenance.

1 Like

Genuine question: what modern car needs expensive maintenance with 36 mos or 36000 mi that isn’t covered by the warranty?

1 Like

Some brakes on modern performance cars can be very expensive, especially if you leave it too late and it causes damage.

If I remember rightly wasn’t the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio service at 30k miles very expensive? I’ve read Maserati dealer servicing is very high.

To the OP @Enginejoe for 15k miles per year I would read up on the brakes and tire average lifespan, and the servicing costs for the 30k and 40k services and see how much that 3rd year is going to cost you. Normally 2 years is better but it gets complicated for each different vehicle.

You have a point most people that lease Alfa mainly do 24 months to avoid that expensive 30K servicing.

1 Like

some high performance cars need tranny flush, brake pads changed/rotors resurfaced, new tires etc etc. cars that come to mind are hellcats, corvette’s, 63 amg’s, M cars, porsche, maserati, the gtr, and these aren’t even exotic cars, lamborghinis, ferraris and mclaren’s play by their own set of rules when it comes to maintenance like 4 figure oil changes, front diff/rear diff, clutch jobs, and even spark plugs.

One of the cool things about having a pickup truck is seeing how cheap maintenance is and why Japanese cars are so attractive regardless of if a car is in warranty or not, a $40 oil change and tire rotation is all it needs and oil can be changed every 10k if you please,

But back to the point, I think most people decide on lease term based on payment difference, and having the ability to swap into a new car a year earlier than a typical lease is an added bonus.

Toyota maintenance package is 24 mos, so he would be on the hook for at least 2 additional services, likely tires and possibly brakes, if he opted for 36mos.

1 Like

Alfa Romeo comes to mind

tires…turning in a 36/15K 2015 vw passat this month. Rotated the tires but fronts are kicked and need to replace those…

Good point about performance cars; I guess I should’ve written, “Which mainstream modern car…”

Regarding the “ultra-high” performance/luxury cars (e.g., Bentley), my understanding is that you can’t do a lease a new car for those makes (and this was told to me by someone who used to work for an Audi dealer)…

Mod: maybe better split this off into off-ramp?

again off topic, I’m not sure if I’m reading this right but if somebody told you that you cant lease a Bentley/rolls royce/etc he/she was talking out of their ass, you can lease anything you want but is it gonna be a good deal? probably not, is it gonna be financially smart? well that depends on resale values, disposable income, etc etc. The only cars that can’t be leased would be something of a speciality brand maybe like buggati and koenigsegg, I also know you cant lease the ford raptor or gt, not so sure about the shelby. A Rolls lease is gonna be something like 3k+ a month so take that how you want lol. From experience the 675lt was roughly 2750 for a 24 month lease, a 720s was gonna be like closer to $4k+ and wasn’t in the color. McLaren advertises like $1500 payments but those are 48 month leases and nobody wants to pay maintenance after 20k miles on these things.

Also depends on what you’re paying up front on the 24 month leases, if you’re constantly putting up expensive drive offs, let’s say 2k per assumption, it’s going to add up. I guess my point is to look for leases with monthly rent charge so you can roll the drive offs into the payment.

I’d personally take a 2yr lease as less chance of needing maintenance and I also usually get bored with vehicles right around the 2 yr mark so it would be nice to get in something new.

That said, if you can get some insane unicorn deal, it may be best to lock in a low payment for 3 years rather than 2.

Or swap out of it in less than 2.5 years for some cash

1 Like

$550 oil change, 1400-ish campaigns.

I’d say brakes/rotors/wheels would run you 3-$4,000? You can pick them up from third-party and install them since they’re wear items and save a lot.

I really enjoyed my 2 year lease on my Encore. Now I’m on a 3 year Subaru lease. Love it too. But I say 24 months won’t have to worry about tires.