What's In The Garage? [Photos]

Some Fleet updates:

• GTR is gone. I sold it on Cars & Bids for $54k. $10k more than I paid for it. I put some money in maintenance, maybe $3300 or so. Sold it with 94k miles, so I put on about 5k in my 1 year of owning it.

• Solstice is still here and sitting alone in the garage. Picked it up in September on Bring a Trailer for $16,750. I’m up to 18k miles on it now.

• Saab 9-3 Aero Wagon 6MT beater is still around. I’m almost at 198k miles. Needed to put a new clutch in it in September. It was expensive.

• Bolt is gone - replaced it with a Tahoe via GM’s collateral swap program for people with Bolt’s that spontaneously combust. I have 600 miles on it now. As soon as my GM Financial Account updates, I’m planning on buying it out. Let’s just say that I should own it for well under it’s $65k MSRP. It does fit in the garage, but barely. Definitely not planning on keeping it in there…

• Picked up a 2004 TL for a family member to drive. Auto, but only 129k miles. Interior is in great shape. The navi actually works. I paid $4k for it. Let’s just say I’ve been driving it more than she has…

• Almost forgot to mention, I still have an order for a Bronco and also for a Maverick. I will likely replace the Tahoe with one of them…
19 Likes

Clutch for the Saab…. Parts expensive or labor? Or both?

If I recall the receipts on the clutch for my Viggen from the PO, the correct answer is “yes.”

2 Likes

Well the clutch was $300, flywheel was like $700 or $800 and the labor was $1300. I was going to do it myself, but then found out that I would need a lift because you need to drop the subframe among other things and decided against it.

1 Like

Ouch… that’s a lot for a beater.

Tell me about it, that’s why I ordered the Maverick, to have a cheap reliable beater that gets good gas mileage and is useful for going places and home depot runs. The Saab does have a lot more features though lol!

Very great fleet choices

Thanks man! Definitely took me a long time to realize that I have an addiction. But - buying cool old cars is just as good as buying new cars. As I tell everyone, if this were 2007, I’d have one hell of a garage!

I’ve been toying with the idea of buying a 5-speed beater for a while now. I thought I’d have the pick of these unwanted cars because who drives stick any more, right? I like body styles that don’t exist any more, like 1990s’ Accord coupes (really a 2-door sedan) or Corolla wagons.

But forget about the uncommon body styles, even MT sedans don’t seem to exist any more from that era.

One of my friends has a manual 98 accord coupe, thing thing is a hoot. There’s something really pure and mechanically satisfying from 90’s Japanese cars

Absolutely… there’s also something really pure about a car you can see out of without needing electronics to help you. Low belt line, low dash/cowl/hood, big greenhouse, lots of glass, thin pillars. And a 2-door sedan roofline rather than a typical coupe’s sloping roofline so rear seat headroom isn’t punitive

Some examples:

|

1 Like

i always toy about the idea of getting older miata or some roadster…but im never sure if id ever grab the keys over a modern car… but that driving fun cant be beat, except when you floor it and feel you can run faster than the car goes.

That’s funny. I had the same color (Brown) 1992 Accord EX 5speed manual but in a sedan. It had the Burgundy interior .

I had that car in 1999 and drove it to college.

Bought it for $5,500 and sold it a year later for $5k.

3 Likes

Starting hacking early, ehh? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Had mine for 8 months now. No complaints. Great SUV.

6 Likes

Dude, that was my first “nice” car that i bought myself. I was 20yo in 1999.

Bought it from a young Polish guy with family in Bklyn, NY. It was the EX so had those same 15” disc wheels, moonroof etc.

We were middle class (ie poor) growing up, so my dad always handed me down former NYC cabs/police cruisers when I started driving . Caprice Classics and Crown Vic’s :expressionless: . They were dirt cheap beaters for teenagers to get around.

Stepping into this Accord was like stepping into a new Mercedes lmao …

2 Likes

I would’ve taken a Caprice or a Crown Vic at that age.lol. Large enough to haul people/stuff and enough power to get you there! Not always the coolest looking but… ha

1 Like

Picked up tonight 1k Under msrp
(Not really in garage since it can’t fit)

4 Likes

Just picked up!

2005 Honda S2000! I’ve always wanted one, and found a nice low mileage example in CA. Brought her home to UT. Can’t wait until the roads are cleared, and I can enjoy some top down fun. Rowing through the gears is pure joy.

In the garage until March or April.

21 Likes

Very cool! Keep it clean and hold on for a long time!

1 Like