What would you buy for $10k?

:white_check_mark: Sometimes a Courtyard is just more convenient.

6 Likes

Especially if they have bubble tubs. Much rather do that than pretend to be homeless.

1 Like

Been following this thread for a while and it’s ironic because my kid is buying a car for exactly $10k.

It’s an 80s Toyota Supra… which is funny because I wanted one back then but couldn’t afford it.

I’m just hoping it doesn’t turn into a $20k car because of any additional work.

I think these things usually run less than $5k (non crazy used car times) but we’ve been looking for a year and anything in that range doesn’t even run.

I’ve never bought a used car so this will be interesting… and I will probably end up in the Project Car thread.

1 Like

2nd gen or 3rd gen?

Capitulated on that during this past year as we were good with either (coincidentally my father owned a Mk3 which would had made me jealous but I was into trucks by then).

We started shopping for the Mk3 because it was newer but we both really preferred the look of the Mk2. Test drove one the other day (haven’t driven a manual in over 20 years) and it’s a lot smaller than I remember (and I’m a lot bigger).

The one plus is it runs. Going to take it over to a mechanic before we commit and we will see.

I love the looks of the 2nd gen. Post pics! and updates in:

https://tallahassee.craigslist.org/cto/d/tallahassee-classic-saab-3-for-the-low/7476183822.html

Not a fan of ads without license plates but let’s give it a try.

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/totowa-2012-bmw-750i/7487905579.html

I thought this was a thread about cars you WOULD buy for 10k? lol.

An N63 with a CEL and 6 figures on the odo is this forums version of 0DTE contracts a la WallStreetBets.

2000 Land cruiser

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=609651249&=

2 Likes

Look at the milage.

1 Like

Those engines can do 1 million miles. This is just break in period.

If you told me CarFax owned this Land Cruiser to test what indy shops were reporting data, I’d believe you. I would also believe someone in CarFax’s QA dept has this VIN memorized.

Someone should buy it and see how many miles it has left in it.

So normally (and throughout this thread) I’m a fan of cars built to a very high standard (90s’ Toyotas, W126 Mercedes, etc) and/or those that can be maintained indefinitely through cheap parts and minimal labor (Buick 3800, Panther platform, etc).

But I wanted to throw something else up there, something on the complete opposite end. Something that doesn’t deserve to be maintained, let alone saved, because it was designed as a ticking time bomb, but it looks more fly than any Buick, Ford or Chevy in this thread ever could.

Like every 7 series ever made (except an E38 sport), it’s destined for a premature trip to the junkyard. Why not drive it til it dies? Then part it out. Not a dime on maintenance except maybe topping up the oil if necessary. Or get the valve cover gaskets done if you know someone. Helluva TCO for a contemporary-looking luxury car if you can get 12+ months out of it.

There’s a method to this madness… I think.

6 Likes

Totally agree and an absolutely unique find (for nearly half the budget cap of this thread).

Had the same valve gasket cover issue on my x5 50i.
Tough fix (triggered other sensors) and I eventually gave up getting it fixed again and again. Could be a fun ride if you don’t mind filling up oil after every trip and the plumes of smoke :rofl:

2 Likes

Stop tempting me to do stupid things.

2 Likes

That’s a no from me. But your logic speaks to me.

I can nearly guarantee that thing will strand you within 72 hours of acquiring.

3 Likes

You buy it for me I promise to own it and do whatever it takes to keep running for ten more years.

1 Like