What vehicle is right for me?

I can’t figure out what car to get. I need some input. Apologize in advance for the long post.

Some facts about me:

Late 40s, work from home, I usually drive 200 miles a week at most. Some weeks only 20 miles. Probably average around 100 miles/week. I have one kid - a 5 yr old in a car seat. Soon will be a booster seat within a year or 2. Most of my driving is running the kid to school, running errands around town (suburbia mostly), family stuff, the usual.

Will likely only keep for 3 years, and this would be my first lease ever. While I don’t have a budget per se, I would like to keep the payment under $700/mo, would LOVE to keep it under $500/mo but if it was a perfect car for me I would stretch the budget a bit.

I currently drive an old pickup truck that I had inherited. It served its purpose for a while when I was doing some renovations on the house, etc. And while it would be nice to keep as a 3rd car, I just can’t justify having it sitting around 99% of the time. Wife has a new Outback.

As I’m getting older, I find myself liking softer cushy seats, quiet cabins, and more luxury in general. . Also really liking the look of the Genesis GV-80, hopefully it’ll arrive in the states soon. This could be a winner.

Things I like in cars: well-integrated screens/infotainment/tech, cushy comfy leather seats, quiet ride, captains chair 2nd row, sport-back sedans, aggressive styling, sharp angles, hybrid (less stops at the pump).

Things I don’t like: overly-rounded designs, screens sticking up out of the dash, cheap leather, alcantra/suede, plasticky interiors, hard seats, lousy transmissions, inability to turn off start-stop permanently

Must haves: cushy comfy leather seats, Lots of backseat legroom so the kid doesn’t kick the back of the front seats! AWD/4WD, heated/vented seats, apple car play, good visibility, peppy with good transmission (i like v6/8)

I need a 4 door, very roomy trunk or hatch. Don’t need 3rd row, but ok if it has one, it’ll stay down and act as cargo space.

Out of everything I’ve driven, so far I’ve liked to some extent (in no order): Lincoln Aviator, BMW 7-series, Audi Q8, Hyundai Palisade, VW Arteon (kinda neat sporty design), Tesla (X & S - Not as nicely appointed as Germans), Ram 1500 (don’t think I’m gonna go pickup though)., Jag F-pace. I wasn’t over the moon about any or I would’ve pulled the trigger.

I haven’t liked: Toyota (boring), Honda (boring)

Other things I’ve driven or sat in that I’m neither here nor there on: X5, CX-5, XC-40, XC-90, Range Rover, Porsche Cayenne, Atlas CrossSport,

I want to check out the Mercedes GLE, probably will do so this week. How does it feel compared to Audi, BMW? Both of which I thought felt stiff - both the ride and the seats.

So what am I missing? Is there something I should be test-driving that I’m not thinking about?

Civic Type R

:bat:

Mercedes GLC might be doable under 700, BMW x5 and x3, MB GLB. All SUV’s as I think that’s safer. I would also look at the lease transfer section for BMW as you need low mileage.

Definitely doable.

Probably not going to be doable for $500 a month. Especially at launch.

It seems like you are all over the place in terms of the car you are looking for. A Mercedes GLE and a BMW 7 series are two very different cars. However, a sub $500 MP is not likely on either.

Maybe consider the XC60 if you have eliminated the XC40 and XC90? Not sure what the current leases are, but under $500 is definitely doable on a well-optioned vehicle. Atlas is also a nice vehicle for the money.

You’ve been going around testing these cars with a budget of ideally $500 and definitely <$700?

Volvo XC90

1 Like

Cars and SUVs are very personal things. What someone thinks is great others don’t like.

You need to get out and look to decide what you really want. Others can’t really do this for you.

For $500 to $700 a month you can get something really nice.

And asking for suggestions on a forum is worth just what you paid. Go get a copy of a car review magazine.

1 Like

Just go full balls to the wall and splurge on the 911. You won’t regret it.

4 Likes

Shhh, a certain someone is known for putting child seats in the front seat of a Porsche, don’t give them more ideas :wink:.

OP: F Pace I could possibly do on a loaner, anything else is way beyond 700 besides the arteon and palisade.

Range Rover, if it was 700 for you I’d probably have one, GLE is different and not worth it right now. X3, X5 if we’re keeping it under 700, CX5 pass you’ll get a lot of grief from @jeisensc and @mllcb42 on Mazda’s, XC60 or XC90 loaners might be what you need, although they are I4s.

No. As I said, I would stretch the budget. I would PREFER to keep it under $700, but if it was something I loved, I would go higher. Just not sure it’s needed.

I’m seeing Macan written all over this & Maybe a new 5-Series loaded up to the sky, X3 M40i., F-Pace is the best if you wanna be unique.

1 Like

I seem to have confused people with my “budget”. As I said, under $700 would be good, under $500 would be great. Will I spend over $700? Yes, for the right vehicle I would.

The thing is, only you know what you like and we don’t know you and you don’t know us so all you’ll end up getting is a long list of vehicles.

From one parent to another though get a vehicle with a good safety rating and has a proper 2nd row like a Volvo XC90. The center 2nd row seat is the safest place for a child as it’s the middle of the vehicle so more protected from side impact. XC90 also has the flip up built-in child booster seats which are useful.

Macans are nice but rear space is terrible. Ultimately do your online research, create a shortlist and go test drive all before then deciding and negotiating (or speaking to a broker).

2 Likes

So what’s more important to you: under $500 “would be great” or the “right” vehicle for $700?

1 Like

+1, sounds like it’s exactly what you were describing.

If you have Costco (and esp if you’re in CA), Audi eTron has some tremendous value deals. There are still some in stock- esp at Audi BH. Get in touch with @Samaudibh and he’ll get you a deal.

1 Like

You will not get an aviator, model s or x, q8, range rover or cayenne for under $700 period, unless you put some ccr (cash cap reduction)

7 series under 700 is doable… it’s just gonna be a 740 or 745e, both of them are underpowered but if you want the 7 series name it should do the trick.

I’m assuming you mean range rover and range rover sport, they do have the velar… not sure how those go but there were deals undrr $700, keyword were.