What to ask for when you're negotiating

When I’m requesting the price, and structure of the deal, so I can plug into the calculator - what should I be asking for?

I ask for the worksheet, and I have some salesman sending me the worksheet they use at the desk to ascertain your monthly.

Thank you!

you know…like this -

You need to read some articles regarding how a lease works and is structured. There are key factors that create the monthly payment a dealer provides you with. No matter what they tell you the selling price is always a determining factor and you need to make sure they tell you that number WITH all the fees included. I tell them I want the final adjusted cap cost with everything.

There are some articles on this site, on the front page and you can also do a quick search on Google. Once you read one or two you should have an understanding how how the formula is created.

Do that and then come back and if you have questions ask those specifically and there are tons of well educated people on this site that are always willing to help.

Just a side note : Autonation uses a lot of there own terminology because they’re massive corporation but once you have a basic understanding it’s easy to figure out what they use.

2 Likes

You need the following:

MSRP

Sales Price (search for incentives that you qualify for and make sure you negotiate for the discount prior to incentives)

Residual (this is set, there is no negotiating it)

MF - negotiable, meaning there is a base, but it can be marked up

Lease Acq Fee, Doc Fee, DMV fees, & taxes.

2 Likes

The above screenshot doesn’t include all the critical details (by design, I guess).
Ask for the stuff rkinra mentioned and plug it into LH calculator, or better, understand how that calculater works and build your own.

1 Like

leasing 101:

http://www.realcartips.com/leasing/

Thank you kindly - I’m familiar with the overall process, and I know to ask for MSRP, adj. cap cost, MF, incentives etc. - I just thought there was an industry name for the worksheet that has the real numbers clearly listed. So I could simply ask them for that, but I’m finding that each dealer sends different things and they all have a different way of hiding costs. Annoying, but I’m figuring it out as I go. Thank you for the tips!

Thanks - yes, it’s by design I’m sure as well. Sometimes it’s difficult to decipher what they send in order to plug into the calculator, and generally I’ve been plugging it in and reverse engineering. It’s always lower and generally they push back and simply say they’re sorry it doesn’t add up for me, but is what it is. I get it - they’re used to dealing with people that focus on the payment vs. the price, and they don’t want to give it up. As we move closer to the end of the year, I’m sure I’ll have a bit more leverage.