What podcasts do you like?

Taking a cue from @Bostoncarconcierge with lighter fare.

Maybe we can find a few new ones from others’ favorites.

I’ll start with some low hanging fruit. First one I listen to every day is NPR Up First.

What pod do you favor?

:bat:

2 Likes

I haven’t really been able to get into podcasts (prefer music in the car or shower), but “How I Built This” with Guy Raz is on my list.

I know lots of people like Planet Money and Story Corps

3 Likes

Many:

50 things that made the modern economy
99% invisible
Above & Beyond Group Therapy
Accidental Tech Podcast (born from Neutral, a show about cars)
The Anthropocene Reviewed
Bloomberg Surveillance
The Dead Author’s Podcast (dead/fake HG Wells travels in time, retrieves a dead author, and interviews them before a live studio audience. The L Ron Hubbard 2-parter is genius)
Exchanges at GS
HBR Ideacast
Marketplace and Make Me Smart
Planet Money
Reconcilable Differences
Reply All (2nd to last episode was one of their best)
Roderick on the Line
Ted Radio Hour and TAL have kind of worn out their welcome but occasionally I still listen to them

I excluded all the politics and I have dozens of feeds I’ve turned off, just the highlights (none of the podcasts I’ve been on).

Why is Overcast my player of choice? Great CarPlay support, syncs across all my devices, easy to share shows or clips, and most importantly:

6 Likes

Given the COVID shitstorm I’ve been listening to TWIV (This Week in Virology)

2 Likes

Historical Figures
Howard Stern - not a podcast, but still a good way to kill a few hours doing mundane work. BTW, SiriusXM streaming is free now due to the “situation”.

2 Likes

Dan Carlins Hardcore History

Hasn’t released a new episode in years but there is a ton of catching up to do. In depth stories on ancient history.

2 Likes

Crime Junkie
Counterclock
Due For a Win
The Clearing
Red Ball

I need to watch the one about Joe Exotic and Carole Baskin that is going to be turned into a movie

1 Like

Tiger King on Netflix is about Joe Exotic. I listen to the podcast and you get a little more info in the doc. There’s a reason it’s gone viral, those people are insane and make for good tv.

3 Likes

I usually can’t binge TV shows, but I watched that without getting up once. Absolutely wild

1 Like

Jre and Hardcore history

1 Like

John Roderick from The Long Winters and Western State Hurricanes has a weekly chat with former Productivity Guru and current professional podcaster Merlin Mann.

This week on “Wrong Kind of Vacation”

Follow link / press play. Has profanity but it’s timely and if you listen past 1 min they talk about entertaining their daughters…

1 Like

I like to listen to John Batchelor podcasts (really just a breakdown of his shows into smaller chunks), some might consider him political, but I think he brings info from all sides of the political spectrum. I like his guests when talking about world events, Asia, Middle East etc, and I really like his science / space topics when he has them.

I think he also has stuff on his podcasts which are not aired via radio. One issue I have is he breaks down his shows into segments, and then breaks down the segments into multi-part, which is really annoying. He post up 8 parts for a segment, each being 10-15min in length. Just leave the 3-4hr show in tact. Or take a topic and make it a single 45-60 podcast, not 5.

1 Like

Ok, @anon92897398, here we go:

Funny, sometimes Dark, Sweary ones:

Do You Need a Ride?: LA comics riffing in LA traffic. Start with new eps.
Ologies: Science pod that’s light and easily digestible.
Last Podcast on the Left: Mormonism eps are a great place to start.
My Favorite Murder: Doesn’t need a explanation.
Entry Level with Brooks Wheelan: Comics chatting about their shitty entry level jobs.
How Did This Get Made: Classic.
Why Won’t you Date Me? Host of Nailed It, chatting with fellow comedians.
Newcomers: Star Wars: Could be triggering for Star Wars stalwarts.

On a more serious note:

Dr. Death: Surgical malpractice.
The Dropout: Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos.
The Teacher’s Pet: Australian Cold Case.
Death in Ice Valley: Mysterious Norwegian Cold Case.
The Allusionist: Deep dive into language.
Wild Thing: a mostly scientific look at Big Foot.
Song Exploder: A dissection of interesting songs of all genres.
In The Dark: Investigative True Crime.
Bear Brook: True Crime. NH Cold Case.
Cabinet of Curiosities: Short Nuggets of Oddities.
Reply All: Covers many topics…

Disclaimer: I have not included any political podcasts, but in some, the hosts may express their personal political views.

4 Likes

Oh man I forgot about this! I used to listen to it on my 4+ hour daily commute a couple years ago. I think my favorite was the pay phone in the middle of nowhere. I called it and remember a recording saying something like “are you sure you want to see how deep this rabbit hole goes”

1 Like

As car people, many of us like design, whether we know it or not.

If anyone is on the fence about 99PI I always recommend Roman Mars live talking about flags

I’m definitely adding this, it’s very “Dead Authors Podcast”. And I’m probably the only person who watched and loved “I’m Dying Up Here” on Showtime.

Once I started listening podcast after audiobooks, I didn’t even thing of trying any other app other than built-in Apple podcasts.
Thanks for the screnshot about saved time with overcast.
Will give it a shot now.

I’m totally eclectic on what I listen
Barron read back
Rich Dad - funny to listen constant doom and gloom
This week in Startups with Jason Calacanis
The Pitch

Tried a lot of others including
How it was build
Tim Ferris Show - Can’t do 2 hours he drops every time with my 30 min commute even on 1,5 speed.

I’ve realized 1 hour is my mark.
I’ve tried shorted episodes like 15 min and many were nothing special.

Used to listed audio version of Economist. I like that while it lasted but also takes forever to get through each magazine

1 Like

Happy to help. Dead Authors Podcast added! Paul F. Tompkins is great. Scrolling though, I’m seeing some pretty great guests.

1 Like

It removes the dead air and lets you adjust the speed. I have my SmartSpeed set at 1.32x

1 Like

as someone with a long daily commute, i have many but here are my favorites:

The Daily
BBC Global News
Omnibus Project
Rational Security
Planet Money - The Indicator
FiveThirtyEight
Stay Tuned With Preet
99% Invisible
Work Life w/Adam Grant
Pivot