What are you cooking? Show us your creations šŸ”

Might have to try your recipe, that crumb looks phenomenal (mine always comes out tighter than that).

FWIW when I go up to 80% hydration it really feels like itā€™s hit or miss for a good oven spring. I try to do at least three rounds of coil folding for higher hydration. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Either way, Iā€™m sure your bread tastes fantastic. Think we need a BreadHackr thread.

1 Like

Are you using a dutch oven or any steam?

1 Like

LOL. The last time I had picked up hard shells (which I rarely buy), I had a similar experience. I was not pleased to say the least.

FWIW - I would probably eat a taco salad after it had been scraped up off of the floor. :rofl:

1 Like

Will someone fill me in as to what a dutch oven accomplishes that a slow cooker cannot? :thinking: Iā€™ve heard many instances of using a dutch oven for certain recipes, but Iā€™ve never used one myself.

Lmao different uses here. Dutch oven referenced is for baking bread. You put the dough into a hot dutch oven and then bake that in the oven. It traps the steam and helps create a better crust and oven spring.

As far as cooking, not much difference in my opinion. A slow cooker is just a fancy technology version.

1 Like

Right, obviously this discussion was about breadā€¦ but it just made me wonder.

So I wasnā€™t terribly far off from thinking (slow cooker vs dutch oven).
crazy_face

I find an instant pot more practical in some situations - itā€™s far easier to take the inner pot out, wash some rice, and wait a bit for the pot to pressurize and have some quick & ez rice rather than taking a dutch oven, pot, or wait 2 years for a rice cooker to do the same.

I do a short rib ragu in the instant pot and its absolutely delicious. I need to figure out more things to use it for, I think thats the only dish Iā€™ve made with it ha

Lazy Hainan Chicken Rice. If you can get discount fresh whole chickens, or even just thighs itā€™s such a good meal.

1 Like

In the interest of full disclosure, when I later cut into the center portion of the bread, the crumb was not as amazing as the first cut (but still very nice and consistent w/ a high hydration dough). I was too busy eating it to take a photo. :wink: If you do try Forkishā€™s recipe, still w/ the original, rather w/ my mods (eg., donā€™t do a 20 hr bulk ferment!). King Arthur has a recipe for pain de campagne, and Iā€™ve had decent luck w/ this recipe from a ā€œpersonalā€ blog. Her technique of letting it get 50-75% bigger and then stick it in the fridge seems to give me more consistently good results (but I donā€™t bake a ton, so Iā€™ve only done it a few times).

Yes, covered dutch oven as @Casey_Mihal1 mention. I also spritz my dough w/ water b/f it tossing it in.

If you like yogurt, we do homemade yogurt in the Instant Pot, and it turns out very nicely. You can find recipes everywhere. We bought our starter from Cultures for Health (using store-bought yogurt didnā€™t give us a very strong starter).

1 Like

We do yogurt and soy milk as well - though for stronger starters we usually look for yogurts that mention active cultures & probiotic bacteria. Iā€™ll have to compare to an actual purpose bought starter.

Why have I never thought about that??? I love soy milk.

They just opened an HK dessert place near me, and itā€™s like the desserts from my childhood (red bean soup, tofu pudding, black sesame soup). Havenā€™t tried it yet (and prob better for my health to avoid!).

There are a trillion Pinoy bakeries in AD, and so cheap - an Ube roll cake is like 3 dollars for the whole thing.

However, Iā€™m hardcore craving Taiwanese or HK style desserts - 蛋꒻, tofu pudding with ginger syrup, etc. - have to make do with frozen tang yuan.

Whatā€™s AD?

Bwahahahahaha. I just bought one of these recently!!!

I canā€™t read Chinese, so I had to send a pic to a friend to ask what the difference was (apparently nothing?). And neither was the brand my dad buys (which is what I was hoping to get). :stuck_out_tongue:

Abu Dhabi.

I buy laurel or imei if I can find it! I think the top one is the more premium one iirc from my crappy mandarin.

1 Like

Brief off topic: what are you doing in Abu Dhabi??? Study abroad semester?

Any ideas on how to cook steak, burger or chicken indoors without using a teflon or chemical coated pan/presser?

cast iron works really good, something like this - https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Square-Pre-seasoned-Draining-Grilling/dp/B0000CF66W/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1HOF0K625BAEN&keywords=lodge+grill+pan&qid=1681320540&sprefix=lodge+grill+pan%2Caps%2C127&sr=8-2

2 Likes

Something with minimum mess. Forgot to add that :slight_smile:

Sous vide plus searzall

2 Likes