Ways out of Volvo Lease?

Hi all!

I was not well versed in Volvo policy on no third party buys from their leases, and got turned down from Carvana to sell my XC40 because of Volvo’s policies. My question here is- Am I able to sell the car in person to Carmax? And if not, am I able to trade the car to a non-Volvo dealer? Or is my only way out at the mercy of Volvo buying it back at a terribly low price?

You can turn it in in accordance with the potential early turn in penalties that you agreed to in the lease or you can buy it out for you buy out and then sell it to whomever you want.

1 Like

Snowy off ramp?

6 Likes

And another one !

2 Likes

Would I just call Volvo financial to get the penalties or should I go to the actual dealer?

Volvo financial should be able to tell you any early turn in penalties.

4 Likes

I’m currently looking to trade it into my local Volvo dealer who is offering pretty close to break even. Fair offer as it’s under Mannheim, saves them the 100 in transport and they maintained it.

:chocolate_bar:

3 Likes

Do they want my low mileage T5 XC60? :crazy_face:

looks like someone was able to sell to Carmax successfully

After further discussion with that person, it turns out they paid off the lease themselves and then sold it to carmax. They did not sell it directly.

4 Likes

Thanks for clarifying that. That makes more sense now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ya, there was much surprise as to how they managed to sell it to carmax third party and then the details came out and it all makes much more sense.

1 Like

Not sure who “mllccb42” is but I do not recall any discussion with “mllcb42” about my sale of my leased 2019 Volvo XC40 T5 R-Design… My Volvo lease started 06/2018 as a 36-month lease and did not include any restrictions on third party sales in the contract. According to some posts, Volvo changed their lease contracts to not allow third party sales some time after 2018… I did not payoff my lease, CarMax in CT wrote a check to Volvo retail for my payoff amount not the Volvo retailer amount. My final payoff amount included sales tax and property tax which is not typically included for Volvo retailers as well as the $350 disposition fee. My apologies if I am misunderstanding your response but CarMax in CT paid off my payoff amount on my leased vehicle. CarMax also wrote me a separate check for the positive equity. CarMax wrote 2 checks - one check to Volvo and the other to me.

3 Likes

I may have you mistaken for someone else, as this was just covered by someone else with a Volvo lease and carmax.

I would be very curious to see the language in your lease contract that actually allowed 3rd party sales though, as I’ve never seen a lease contract that specifies that.

2 Likes

This is the kicker though. This isn’t a 3rd party purchase if you paid the sales tax and such on it. Carmax may have somehow pushed it through on your behalf as you purchasing it and then them transferring ownership. This is identical to you purchasing and reselling with them somehow handling the paperwork side of things.

1 Like

If your lease was in 2018, I believe you may be able to sell your leased Volvo to CarMax; however, different states may work differently. I sold my leased 2019 Volvo XC40 to CarMax in CT. You should be able to sell your leased vehicle to any authorized Volvo retailer dealership which means the dealership sells Volvo vehicles as well as other car brands. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!!! :+1:t3:

Yeah, if there was tax included in the sale to anyone, it is essentially equivalent to a private party resale.

1 Like

CarMax did have a process. I had to be present on the call CarMax made to Volvo. The Volvo rep had to speak with me after the CarMax rep spoke to them so I could confirm the information. The Volvo rep also said all the taxes were on my payoff amount that CarMax was provided and that CarMax was not an authorized Volvo retailer so would not be provided with the retail buyout amount.

1 Like

If that was the case, Carmax buying the car is basically the same thing as you buying the car, paying the taxes, and then Carmax giving you a check for that same amount. I’m not saying that is a bad approach, (it actually sounds like it saves a step and allows you to not have to lay out the money). But, all of those sales taxes were paid. The true dealer buyouts would not have that sales tax involved, and all of that profit would go to you.

1 Like

So they facilitated you buying it out and then transferring it, probably as a courtesy while they’re transitioning to the new policy.

What this isn’t is a 3rd party buy out, as if it actually was and didn’t involve you having to take ownership first, you wouldn’t have paid tax.