Was This Finally “Peak Insanity” in Used Vehicle Prices? And all other crystal ball questions

Even if it’s only $70 I have finally peaked for Vroom offers on my 2018 grand cherokee high altitude v6

2/1 - $32844
2/7 - $33354
4/16 - $35620
6/14 - $36995
7/15 - $36932

I owe $27k so with close to $10k in equity it’s been real tempting to sell, I just don’t know what I would get into that comparable at a similar payment (in before get a 4xe, I’ve thought about it).

In addition to delta thwarting travel, the end of the summer is approaching (scary to think about, I know) so rental agencies probably are slowing their accumulation of used cars too.

On top of that, there have been so many articles in the past few weeks about the insane prices for used cars, that I imagine a lot more people have tried to sell theirs. And more people are probably waiting on the sidelines, waiting for prices to fall.

Just want to point out how long we’ve been calling the peak…

https://forum.leasehackr.com/t/as-used-car-prices-continue-to-soar-lets-reflect-on-the-great-positive-equity-wave-of-2020-how-did-you-do/

6 Likes
1 Like

Dealers Are Still Marking Up The Kia Telluride

Why wouldn’t they? Low stock + robust demand = Seller’s market. You gotta pay to play.

1 Like

Great…you’re still months away from seeing that trickle down to better stock. It certainly isn’t going to happen overnight.

end of Q1 2022 to see any meaningful changes on the lots…and that’s likely being generous.

3 Likes

You gotta find one that doesn’t.

1 Like

A lot of dealers are still marking them up but there are quite a few across the country that will sell them for msrp. I have one on order right now at a dealer in Colorado (I live in Arizona) for msrp. My local dealer has one on the ground that is the exact spec that we ordered but they want 10k over sticker for it. No thanks! I’ll wait the three months for my order to be built.

2 Likes

Dealers were marking them up before the chip shortage. A friend of ours was looking for a Sorento Hybrid in a specific color last month. There was only one in SoCal. The dealer mark up was $5k. And the wife was determined to have it for their road trip the following week. I saw her driving it couple of weeks ago, but I’m afraid to ask what they paid for it.

2 Likes

Even among friends, some topics are best left untouched.

4 Likes

Makes me grateful that if I ever asked my wife to let me buy something at a 5k markup, she would beat me with a hose.

6 Likes

I have alternate Amazon delivery addresses for a very good reason.

2 Likes

Makes me wonder if this qualify as price gauging. And they should be reported

What’s the “s” in msrp stand for?

3 Likes

It is “suggested”….
https://www.autotrader.com/car-tips/buying-a-car-whats-an-msrp-228292

However there are also gauging laws when shortages and emergencies occur. It varies by state:

I have trouble gouging distance because someone gauged out one of my eyes.

6 Likes

Are you sure it’s not the lack of proper headlights?

Gouging usually applies to staples like water and fuel…not a $50K SUV.

Test drove a Niro yesterday…dealer had a bunch of adds ons plus a $3000 dealer mark up on it…over $52K…and it was a 2020! Tellurides had same junk add ons and a sweet $15K markup…nearly $69K for a KIA!

3 Likes

I can’t even begin to wrap my mind around the mental gymnastics required to walk into a KIA dealership, walk out $70k poorer, and only have a Telluride to show for it. It’s a perfectly fine option, but for $15k++ MSRP - hell, you could rent a different car every month for the next half-year and still come out way ahead on that transaction.

5 Likes