Was This Finally “Peak Insanity” in Used Vehicle Prices? And all other crystal ball questions

Good point.

TSMC is building a 12 billion dollar plant here in Phoenix. My pal is a production manager for chip fab at Intel and TSMC is hiring up people; however, the first local recruits need to go to Taiwan for 18 months or so, he said. The ‘2nd wave’ of hiring will be people that will be more local that don’t need to travel.

1 Like

Plus, the equipment they need have 18 month lead time to manufacture. The irony is ASML, a key manufacturer of lithography equipment, doesn’t have enough chips to produce all the equipment on order.

2 Likes

I called a few dealers across the country regarding a 2017 panamera and not a single one was willing to budge even a few dollars…all gave the standard “obviously we price our cars to what the market is paying…and clearly thats why you called…”

Now that I have my data points…I will keep an eye out for the next 6-12 months and decide.

I think the next hurdle is going to be the labor issues due to covid & in general.

1 Like

Hi all :slight_smile: I’m comparing with Solterra with some other EV options like the Volvos. Any predictions on what leases will look like for them?

From this [article], “The 2023 Subaru Solterra will come in three trim levels for U.S. customers. Subaru has not released pricing information, but the new EV should be priced around $40,000 for the base trim and could approach $50,000 for the fully-loaded Touring trim level.”

Right now, nothing is leasing especially well

In normal times:

• new models almost never lease well for 6+ months after introduction, and
  • most Subarus don’t lease well.

:man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

Anyone find it weird that the residuals are so low? Went and checked back in January 2020 the 2020 X5 36/10 residual was 57% and now the 2022 X5 is 51%. People will either end up with some positive equity or bmw is making a call about the used car prices 3 years from now. Haven’t checked other brands other than bmw.

Bmw used to inflate their rvs significantly

3 Likes

Residuals are often disconnected from reality and more about how much the lender wants to make off renting the vehicle vs bolstering market penetration/retention.

2 Likes

I just checked Audi SQ5 and it looks like the RVs are about the same in 2020 vs now so it may be a bmw thing.

The rates (Money Factor) are nasty though…

All they are really doing is combining their dealership network inventory into one website. Nothing really to buy, if the inventory is owned technically by individual dealers.

1 Like

Except for 2series coupe, they have always had horrible RV’s.

Jeep GW S3 for $33k off. 800 miles, don’t know full story.

Has to be an error. If not get there this morning, buy it and resell it for 20k profit.

1 Like

I would deplete my 401k for this return :joy:

How many phone calls you think they got this am? Haha

Scratch that they fixed it already…

2 Likes

That is quite the markup to ultimately discount it 7K. You have to laugh at all the things dealers do to get you to click on their sell ads.

This morning? I wouldn’t put it past one of these hackers to track down the dealer principle, find out where he goes to church and try to buy it YESTERDAY.

1 Like

That was quick…

I wish it had an online buy button…i would have added to cart & maxed out all my CCs lol

1 Like