Was This Finally “Peak Insanity” in Used Vehicle Prices? And all other crystal ball questions

You’re seeing preowned selling above MSRP? even in the shitty NYC market you can get new in stock full size RR at MSRP

2 Likes

Yes, preowned is largely at or above original MSRP. Run a search and see for yourself. MMR on a 2023 V6 SWB is $127k wholesale with 10k miles on the odo. Retail is $135k+

And yeah you might be able to get one at MSRP if a customer has canceled their order but finding one is the challenge. Dealers are offering them to their own personal contacts and/or people on a waitlist for an allocation.

1 Like

Ya but 8k under retail… but they also they paid 50k over….

So 58k swing for 10k miles

2 Likes

That’s not really accurate. It’s not a $58k swing when $127k is already over MSRP. And you’re assuming it’s the $50k over purchasers who are now off loading the car after a year of driving. In reality, it’s those who placed orders on them at MSRP and sold for breakeven or profit at the end of year 1.

1 Like

Yes I’m assuming the ones that drove it for a year and now offloading…

Would be a 58k swing. Not many people buying for sticker a year ago. I think I was seeing 15k over this time last year min

1 Like

Where do you get your information from? Orders on Rovers since day 1 have been at sticker. The only ones who paid over sticker are the ones who bought on the lot. And what makes you think it’s those people who are taking a $50k loss in one year on them?

People with money that don’t care… I live in Los Angeles I see it everyday.

And only a few dealerships in CA honor sticker with an order. Especially in my area West Hollywood Beverly Hills.

None that I can think of. Only one I know that does is San Diego and you need to register it to a San Diego zip code to get it.

So you get your data from “people with money that don’t care”. Got it. Assuming you’re correct, still doesn’t explain how you get spew a $58k swing in year when the wholesale value on a 1 year old car with 10k miles is over MSRP.

1 Like

I’ve talked with a few dealers down here in SD about MSRP sales for locals only. Comes down to return customers and service profits. Anybody would drive down from LA one time for a good deal, but they’re not driving 4 hours round trip for service every year or warranty work. They’re also unlikely to trade that car back in to the dealer or buy another car from them.

Well they walk into the dealer and say I want this car. They say 50k over sticker. Then said buyer says yes.

1 year later they want something new. Roll neg or cut check for difference. Boom new car

58k difference minus what the payments took it down too over the year. Let’s say 2400 x 12 so 28k. So net loss of 35 racks cause paying more interest in the beginning of the loan

1 Like

Ya I think San Diego said I could order one for sticker never really went into details. Was in Orange County at the time and they didnt want to honor that. But they told me the list was very long I think something like 100 plus

Money talks, Bullshit walks.

You have to live 100 miles from the dealership for the “honor”

1 Like

This is becoming increasingly rare and I don’t care where you live.

You are talking about a very minute segment of the portion of the wealth that Michael Douglas refers to in Wall Street as “from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons…”

Even these silver spoons, idiots and others have an increasing awareness due to life experience, the internet and osmosis alone that just blindly paying “50k over sticker” just because they can and some dealer says so is just dumb.

The few truly dumb and IDGAF people that exist and would still do this with a pissed away 50k are looking at a Bentayga, Urus, Purosangue or Cullinan anyway and not some RR.

3 Likes

IMG_4504

3 Likes

That’s a good story based on conjecture. Not based on data or facts which is what is most useful on this forum.

2 Likes

A friend of mine who used to be technical director at McLaren F1 spends his “retirement” doing vintage rallies all over the world in one of a dozen or so amazing vintage rally cars. He was at one of these events in Australia with his ‘63 Rolls Silver Cloud when someone in a brand new Cullinan came to see the rally at one of the stops. This guy maneuvers to park his monstrosity right in front of all the vintage cars, oblivious that he’s ruining every photo. He gets out, very proud, and seeks out his fellow Rolls Royce driver. He compliments him on his car, obviously expecting the praise to be retuned. It’s not, and after a few attempts he gets frustrated and goes fishing more directly: “so what do you think about my car then?”

My friend deadpans: “That? I’d sooner shovel my money into a fireplace.”

The guy moved the car.

I think most real car guys have a similar reaction: I see someone driving a Cullinan or similar and I think all kinds of things the owner doesn’t want to project: Not a car guy. Not a driver. More money than brains. Trying way too hard, etc. I’m slightly more forgiving if you’re being driven in a Cullinan, but only slightly. I know part of the point with something like this is to show that you can afford to light money on fire, but these cars just seem like the lease creative, most useless ways to do that.

3 Likes

Personally there’s only so much car worth driving or worth being driven in.

At a certain point I’d sooner be chauffeured in a Prevost tour bus and have all or most conveniences of home while on the go.

3 Likes

Not at Kia

2 Likes

San Diego WAS doing orders at sticker plus $995 starlinkgaurdnitrogenfill3m. They are now doing $7,500 over on sports including the add ons. There are a couple LA dealers that are doing straight MSRP on what they have in stock.

1 Like