Was This Finally “Peak Insanity” in Used Vehicle Prices? And all other crystal ball questions

Definitely.

I wish I liked the new 5 series but I can’t get into it. I really wish I could have just one more year with the previous generation!

They were depreciating the whole time, but dealers refused to drop prices. Could be scarcity, but IDK. I’ve watched the blue and black book value for mine drop steadily since I bought it April 2022. Meanwhile, I watched many sit on lots with no price change for months. There’s probably a $7-15k delta in trade-in value to list price for most at the moment.

3 Likes

Probably overallowed on the trades to sell some hard money markup new units

1 Like

For anyone who wants to listen about the securitization of car loans and what it means for the future.

1 Like

More peak insanity:

https://www.tarrytownhonda.com/inventory/used-2000-volvo-v70-xc-awd-station-wagon-yv1lz56d3y2675443/

https://www.lexusofmtkisco.com/used-Mt+Kisco-2011-Honda-Civic-LX-2HGFA1F55BH550360

It’s even LX BUT BUT BUT ONLY 60k miles for 12 year old car. Must be someone’s granny driving it and taking very good car of it.
Is that usually the sales line? :rofl:

1 Like

Only driven on Sunday’s and never over 30mph

Haven’t driven through an auto mall in a while… did so yesterday and everyone looks full… are we on the backside of the peak now?

1 Like

The lowball days will be here sooner than many thought just based upon the last three weeks. Inventory at dealers seems to be piling up pretty quickly.

4 Likes

Yes. Yes we are.

relax relaxing GIF by Team Coco

1 Like

Highway miles only

Lowest since July 2021 but still higher than a giraffe’s lady parts compared to January 2021.

1 Like

That can be said about a lot of things since.

2 Likes

Did you know an osterich’s beak is about the same height as a giraffe’s lady parts?

1 Like

I don’t know what to do with this information now that I have it.

2 Likes

Small car insanity predates the pandemic. I sold my 2008 Civic LX to CarMax in 2018 with 70k miles. It had a clean Carfax but some cosmetic damage. CarMax fixed it up, put it on lot for $12k and it sold within a week for what I imagine was the asking price. This at a time when you could get a new civic for about $20k and a Corolla for even less.

Insanity for small cars is only gonna get worst. A lot of people need a used vehicle in the $12k price point (I’m gonna use consistent 2023 dollars). Whereas a decade ago you had probably 20 vehicles for sale that would be worth $12k after say three or four years of ownership, now there are far fewer. Cars like the Cruze, Focus, Fit, Fiesta as well as lower trim Malibus and fusions have been discontinued.

4 Likes

I completely agree. Over the summer I was searching for a $10Kish car for my 16 year old. The options I found were truly dreadful. Anything with under 100K miles was over $12K. Anything $10K & under has between 120K & 150K miles and was 10-15 years old. I ended up leasing a zero option 2023 Tacoma SR from @Jrouleau426.

The Tacoma turned out to be too big for a new driver. He had some difficulty navigating the school parking lot and backed into another student. In an ironic turn of events, I’m now commuting in the Tacoma full time and he’s driving my fairly loaded '22 4Xe Sahara .

6 Likes

Sorry to hear this and I hope nobody was hurt! Was that issue due to the size of the vehicle or could that have happened to any size car/truck?

1 Like

There’s very little in the $8-10k price range that makes it worth getting over a car in the $3-5k range

2 Likes