Was This Finally “Peak Insanity” in Used Vehicle Prices? And all other crystal ball questions

https://wolfstreet.com/2022/12/05/1768-a-month-with-10407-down-5-apr-on-a-ford-pickup-update-on-q3-new-vehicle-finance/

This whole chart is amusing.

4 Likes

So basically no one is putting any money down and they’re financing for 72 months. And that’s just an average, half the people are paying even more. Pretty concerning.

All the contractors these days have a brand new pickup. Same as they did before the last crash…

10 Likes

or longer.

(Notice the uptick in 84-month questions/comments in the CU thread?)

I’m on the other extreme. In March I financed more than 100% of my lease buyout (due to DCU’s institutional incompetence; long story) at 1.49% for 65 months, and it’s 70% repaid.

The remaining 30% of the balance is taunting me… just daring me to make one last ACH transfer and put it out of its misery.

Meanwhile Chase will let me split this $86 grocery store purchase into six E-Z installments.

13 Likes

Assume that’s 72 months as well. Avg income in the US is 56k yr. Even assuming the bottom 10-20% are not out buying brand new $70,000 trucks, maybe that car buying avg incomes jumps to $70,000 a yr (no idea just making it up)
70k is gross $5833 mo
4550 mo after 22% tax (not even counting local or state tax).

We have a glut of people paying +/- 20% of net income to a car payment. Wait until they find out cars are depreciating assets again unlike the last 18 months!

2 Likes

but, but, but “they took advantage of me not reading the contract” was the catch-all phrase in 2008 that led to Dodd-Frank act and the raise of CFPB.

What would they do now with dealerships/banks playing fast and lose lending left and right to everyone?

Last time they got out by start prrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiinting (forgot the name of the operations). But now they’ve already printed out to wazooo BEFORE shit hit the fan.

1 Like

The Raffle King can’t even get behind invoice damn. Bigger question not going with capstone?

1 Like

My Tacoma payment more than the f150 :joy:

2 Likes

There’s dealers that pretty much eliminated employee (of dealer group) pricing over the last year. I’m not terribly surprised at this…

Who tf is paying $800 on a wrangler :skull_and_crossbones: :joy:

Zero Interest Rate Policy

2 Likes

That’s financed, not leased.

your neighbor.

2 Likes

IDK but I’m sure they’ve been blessed.

VERY BLESSED.

3 Likes

Wanna blow your mind? I bet HALF of the wranglers were obtained using a broker here. At a lower price, so half of the people got their Wranglers at probably $1000

3 Likes

its surprisingly common. we see what these MSRP’s are like now and you know that many of these dopes are buying not leasing.

1 Like

I agree. An ~$800/mo payment doesn’t get you much in todays world… especially for those with mediocre credit, who finance nearly the entire purchase, and have poor deals to begin with.

Yup, average sale price is now over $48k.

Who tf is paying $800 on a wrangler :skull_and_crossbones: :joy:

I just signed for $1120/mo 4xe (pretty loaded) MSRP was $75.5 but I wanted a Sec 179 deduction so leasing wasn’t gonna help. I also keep my cars 5+ years. The lease vs buy was pretty darn close at 36 months TCO.

I admit I am jealous of those driving $3xx/mo leased 4xe’s around. Waiting for a good BMW lease for wife maybe next year.

For 75.5k and 179 there had to be better cars out there than a 4xe no? Unless you love jeep or the phev aspect

2 Likes