Was This Finally “Peak Insanity” in Used Vehicle Prices? And all other crystal ball questions

Search. This question came up before and I’ve explained.

No I’m good.I have better use of my time.

Be thankful to your manufacturer overlords. You get to pay only twice as much per month compared to 2019, as opposed to 3 times as much like it was a few months ago.

Meanwhile dealer profits are up 500% :thinking::thinking:

https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/zanc4p/just_to_give_you_an_idea_of_just_how_badly/

4 Likes

The irony is some of new BMW deals posted don’t have the Dec base rate. Some of the broker’s dealers are marking up the new lower MF.

The reason BMW lowered MF for December is they need to move units, despite having lower production. My local dealers have actual physical inventory now. It is all over the BMW forums, no one wants to lease now. The numbers are terrible. BMW lives off leasing, usually over 70% of sales is through leasing.

Toyota has said recently their lease sales are down to 14% percent this year. Compared to an average of 30% of sales. Leasing keeps customers coming back in the door every three years.

8 Likes

This should help sales lol

2 Likes

The way to solve this…dont buy^

^dealer and brokers please dont ban me

5 Likes

To be honest, that is what is happening. I see a lot of people on various car forums just saying they are buying their leases out and keeping the car. This is not what brands want, especially BMW. They rely on customers coming in every three years and upgrading. When they see current lease payments, they are being completely turned off.

2 Likes

I can concur with that. Selling way more then leasing now as that makes more financial sense for most vehicles. I talk leasehackrs out of leasing daily as it just makes way more sense to buy then lease right now. You’ll be well ahead in 3 years this way, sans a mega collapse.

2 Likes

If you can find a well priced Acura CPO I think it offers great value with 0.99 APR for 36 months

Even the BMW stores asking for all the money in Texas are sitting on a lot count not exceeding ~50 during inventory swell (often 3rd to 4th week of the month) and barring damage disclosures very little over 30 day inventory.

Despite rate markup we are the leader in our market when it comes to discounts and selection.

1 Like

Toyota must have vomited out a ton of gas cars recently… every broker on LH are below MSRP and I’m waiting to see what happens once those hybrids and Siennas start getting discounted.

So what is the over/under on lag time for lease deals following more inventory and discounts? 6 months? A year?

Can you kindly put that in the vernacular for those of us who don’t speak Dealer/ Broker Latin.

A friend traded in his 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance with full FSD yesterday. 20k miles, no accidents, new one is priced at $78k today. Carmax appraisal came in at $28k! The highest dealer offer was $37k. Used car values, especially Teslas are on a rapid decline and dealers are scared shitless to purchase used car inventory.

8 Likes

Sienna won’t be discounted any time soon and lease deals won’t be anywhere close to what they used to be since rates are 8-10%.

Highlander hybrid might get below msrp on lower trims but limited/platinum is almost impossible to get right now, so they will continue to have markups.

The most recent allocation for Toyota was terrible so I can’t even do the same deals on tundras that I did last month. In general all leases will be higher in December then November for my Toyota deals…

They hammered in that term “new normal” for a reason. To condition consumers to get used to higher prices going forward. Can’t “6uild 6ack 6etter” without tearing down the old system first.

3 Likes

Masterful wording.

3 Likes

Replacing "b"s with "6"s to make a point?

More to it than that, it takes a couple reads.

3 Likes

They love their symbology…here’s one from the climate summit a few weeks ago. Just an accident I’m sure…papa schwab would be proud

4 Likes

I think you’re reading too far into it. Nothing out of the ordinary here actually. This is pretty normal in Thailand. Fellow Buddhists and Hindus have been using swastikas long before Hitler or Kanye came along.

At the same time, Thailand has a weird thing for Hitler…