Was This Finally “Peak Insanity” in Used Vehicle Prices? And all other crystal ball questions

Carvana offered me 55k for my Kia Telluride that I bought for 46k half a year ago.

Total insanity.

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill 5

Not exactly used car pricing related, but some automakers (like Stellantis) are jacking up destination fees.

1 Like

It’s been happening for a while.

“We expect prices to remain high until the inventory pipeline is refilled, which may take another year to return to more normal levels”

3 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Sold one to CARVANA!

I think this to Malaysian plants are back to 100%: Morgan Stanley says the semiconductor chip shortage for the auto industry is nearly over.

4 Likes

That doesn’t mean dealers will be going back to giving cars away in a hurry. Especially if they have to eat the corresponding decrease in value for used cars.

2 Likes

Agree. Recovery always takes more time. It may be a year before we can start seeing some decent deals again.

Does it mean I should sell my second car now? Assuming I don’t really need a second, and kept it so far just in case.

Not a used car… but…

17 Likes

I really hope we see a $2000 a month Rav4 pop up on SAL in a year.

4 Likes

Downtown Toyota of Oakland certainly has balls of steel.

3 Likes

Wow I sold one at 8k over msrp and thought the buyer was crazy for spending $65k all in on a rav4!

8 Likes

Look how much money you left on the table!

5 Likes

Serious question…what is the purpose of an adm that high? I interpret it as ‘f off’, it’s so ridiculous that I can’t see anyone taking this dealer seriously. I get that adm’s are sorta normal now, and I know some WILL pay rather than negotiate, but 40K is just a wierd signal.

1 Like

Honestly, no idea. There only answer I have for you comes in a form of an extremely old joke:

Once, a guy known to sleep with a lot of women was asked:
– Tell us, how come you slept with so many women? What’s your secret, how do you manage to persuade them?
– Simple, my friend. When I see a nice looking lady on the street, I approach her and ask politely: “Miss, do you mind if I f… your brains out?”
– Oh my, but they could be offended and slap you in the face!
– Sure, but there are so many nice looking ladies on the street. Sometimes I get slapped in the face, but sometimes I f… her brains out.

Same principle here, if you ask me.

4 Likes

That’s a ‘normal’ adm though…40K is like the gorgeous woman saying yes, but it will cost you your left nut. The ‘market’ for the Rav4 isn’t the type who would pay double, that would be nearly a year’s salary for that market, I would guess. I just find it to be a confusing signal for a dealer to send to the market…enough so that I would seriously question anyone doing any business whatsoever at that dealer. I was also thinking this silly adm was the equivalent of putting a ‘hold or sold’ on a vehicle they don’t truly want to move, hoping they can squeeze more blood later. Perhaps there is no logic, which is why it escapes me.

edit: thinking more, I’m all for it…dealerships hastening their own demise is fine by me.

2 Likes

Yknow those mattress stores that have going out of business sales every few months?

How’d you like $10,000 off this RAV4 Prime? Just for you, because we like the cut of your jib. :grin:

2 Likes

Are you suggesting this dealership is some money laundering front? :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes