Was This Finally “Peak Insanity” in Used Vehicle Prices? And all other crystal ball questions

I have owned four of them since November 2020, put over 20k miles combined. Not a single issue, 90% or more of our driving has been on electric, rides beautifully, vault-like quiet cabin, multi-contour seats with massage are supremely comfy, and when the B58 kicks in the car can seriously move while emitting a very pleasant sound. After 2.5 years, still the best value in luxury SUV segment in my book.

4 Likes

Unless you’re in Indiana where we don’t have net metering :frowning:

1 Like

They’re really great vehicles, aren’t they? :slightly_smiling_face:

I just wish they hadn’t locked the pack down on the NA Spec cars to where only ~70% was usable.

1 Like

We dont have net metering in texas either but there is an electric company called great mountain or something and for 10$ a month they will let you use the grid as your battery

Produce extra power to send to grid and at night use from grid at no charge. Also they allow unused power you send to grid to roll over month to month.

2 Likes

That would be wonderful! We do not have that in Indiana though. No net metering and at night you just have to use the grid unless you invest in batteries for your home, which are way too expensive to make the whole ordeal cost effective.

1 Like

Here in San Diego the electric company is sort of screwing people who invested in solar panels.
Last month, they introduced the NEM 3.0 which decreased how much money the solar owners would earn for the excess electricity they push onto the grid.

Now the SDGE has introduced a new proposal for an income-based flat fee to maintain the infrastructure plus an extra fee for any energy usage. Most solar owners fall under the high-earner household limit and would be paying a $128 flat fee + any usage fee. All the while, the company is punishing high-income owners and disincentivizing reduced consumption since the consumption rate is halved.
So much for investing $20k in solar only to have your bills increased from pre-solar days. :rofl:

This makes the case for off grid living.

3 Likes

Just wait until you can’t buy a gas car anymore, and the legislature decides how much more electricity should cost.

8 Likes

This is America. Our outlook stops at the weekly paycheck.

2 Likes

Do people get grandfathered into 1.0,2.0,etc or are they changed too? My area still has net metering but I could see them going down these same paths

well when you don’t give people enough money to live on and then consistently increase prices on a never ending upwards trajectory, this is the type of thinking that tends to take hold.

Sure, but the American Dream has always been that of excess. That involves a larger home than you need, expensive vehicles, and other misc. luxury purchases that one truly can’t afford. The practice of people spending every penny they have has been around for decades. The fact of the matter is there is a countless number of people who you simply could not give enough money to, to “live on”. Enough does not exist, nor will it ever.

2 Likes

The definition of “live” varies broadly from person to person.

This guy lives on $22k a year in Manhattan.

1 Like

And it all started with buy now pay later…without that “luxury” the generous banks provide, pricing on almost everything would be much much lower.

The largest buildings in every city aren’t banks for no reason.

6 Likes

Yepp, and the real scary part is that the average person (i.e. consumer) is oblivious… to so many things.

1 Like

They’re experts at consumer behavior. It all started with sigmund Freuds nephew, Edward bernays the father of public relations using propaganda to help corporations market products more efficiently.

Wonderful documentary if you’re a nerd like me. This stuff is fascinating

3 Likes

Those grandfathered in are protected but they can’t add more solar panels to their system otherwise they are pushed to 3.0.

1 Like

Is this the dream you are referring to:

A circular firing squad.

Make more money circulate by raising prices, which requires higher wages, which require higher prices, which…

You get the idea, either way the end result is more fugazi fed notes floating around (making your saved ones worth less) and being taxed by the most venerable revenue service.

Hello, Hyperinflation! Venezuela, Hungary, Zimbabwe and the Weimar Republic agree.

1 Like

I look at debt as a tool, Just like a hammer, or a wrench. You can do good things with it or you can do bad things with it.

6 Likes