Was This Finally “Peak Insanity” in Used Vehicle Prices? And all other crystal ball questions

Why would they do that if they know they won’t be getting a part without which the car is just a piece of metal.

There were articles earlier in the year about how there were parking lots full of vehicles waiting for chips.

There comes a point where they just not going to keep making cars waiting for chips to arrive.

Then you haven’t been reading the tech news lately. This chip shortage even affects phones / microwaves / other major appliances. It’s been talked about extensively here for at least 6 months.

It’s not fake, it’s not because of the US, it’s because of the fact that a key part is made somewhere else and it takes 6 months to even produce and a few major factories are not making or even existing.

I believe one is in China (Stopped by the US Government) and one is in Korea (Fire destroyed building)

1 Like

I believe one is in China (Stopped by the US Government) and one is in Korea (Fire destroyed building)

Taiwan was hit by severe drought, clean water is essential for making chips.

Right but they weren’t a major player back then, they are now. Sorta. China was the worst one, and Korea ‘could’ve’ picked up the slack but the fire destroyed that plant.

I didn’t state they didn’t have any setbacks. I’m saying there aren’t any articles coming out that state they are running around the clock, 24/7, working 7 days a week, and attempting to come out. All I’ve personally seen is that there is a shortage and they aren’t sure how long this will last.

Running auto factories 24/7 would make sense if they had all the parts, and labor was the constraint. They have the people to build them, they don’t have all the parts. See all the stores about tens-of-thousands of incomplete/mostly finished

There is plenty of public reporting about the chip companies running 24/7, and delays at the ports shipping parts/subassemblies.

3 Likes
1 Like

Just saw this:

" Wholesale used-vehicle prices rose 3.6% in the first 15 days of September over August prices, according to Manheim’s Used Vehicle Index. Secondhand car prices had surged higher and higher throughout much of the pandemic before stabilizing somewhat during the summer months.

Now they’re on the rise again."

1 Like

Trend-line checks out

3 Likes

I’m waiting for the title for my newly acquired Chevy Blazer to come in so I can immediately flip it, so this is excellent news. Mr. Burns excellent gif

1 Like

This is part of the reason that services provided by brokers on this forum are more valuable than ever. Provide them with some information about your vehicular needs & wants. They will tell you whether or not their dealer (or dealers) has the vehicle in stock or it is (really) coming in. You will most likely get the vehicle at MSRP (which is a “deal” in today’s market) without a bump in money factor. The broker most likely works with multiple brands and can suggest a competitor’s model which might have a better program. Fee or no fee, their knowledge & contacts are worth a lot.

Who would have thought 2 years ago that in Sep 2021 people would be begging to pay MSRP for a car like a Chevy Spark. Lol

4 Likes

Or any GM car (besides a C8 Corvette) for that matter.

1 Like

I just had to use my GM supplier discount for a new Cadillac. Used to be a garbage discount but that’s the only way I could get anywhere near invoice on it.

4 Likes

Do any dealers even accept Costco pricing anymore? Before Costco pricing was the “OK deal, not great, but not getting ripped off either”. Now it would be a smoking deal.

3 Likes

Are you talking about the quarterly costco bonus incentives (currently Audi) or their psuedo truecar we connect to a dealer buying service?

1 Like

The Truecar-ish deals.

The costco truecar thing currently doesn’t list any deals. Basically just says “talk to your dealer and see what they’ll do”. So, I guess the answer is yes, dealers are accepting costco pricing, but costco pricing isn’t really anything right now?

At this point I’m content with throwing in the towel and giving up my '18 X5 50i lease in January and waiting it out. Now that my E63S AMG wagon dream has all but gone up in smoke, I will be OK with my 18 year old Land Cruiser and 15 year old 911 S for a bit.

Well, $89-99/mo Bolts had my beer goggles oogling.

1 Like