Was I tricked into something?

Basically anything can be capped, up to the lender’s LTV limit, including upfront taxes.

Some people cap their first month’s payment, which seems silly to me.

1 Like

Why? What if the MF = 0.00002? The cost of money is close to 0. I would cap everything including 1st. payment. Nothing silly about it… in fact, it’s a wise move.

1 Like

Agree. The feeling of driving off in an 80k car without paying anything is amazing!! Until the other 35 payments are due :grinning:

Low interest rate coupled with the fact that a car is a depreciating asset… conserve your cash for other more worthwhile and productive things. Stick it under your mattress or invest it in liquid assets and use it to subsidize your lease payments if necessary. You would be further ahead.

So if I one day want to transfer the lease to another person living in another state, the new lease owner will have pay taxes on top of the rolled in taxes?

Correct. They would pay their state tax without reimbursement from NY

1 Like

I’m trying to wrap my head around it, but can’t. I don’t want to go off topic but it seems like NY just doesn’t want to reimburse anyone then. The taxes were paid by the dealer and then passed on to me, so technically speaking the taxes should be reimbursed bc they were in fact paid.

But then again, we pay taxes on used cars so I’m not surprised.

Yes, logically speaking, the taxes should probably be reimbursed. NYS thinks otherwise. You’ll have to complain to your congressman if you want change.

As they say… “You can’t fight city hall.”

NY state needs all the taxes it can get it hands on:)

1 Like

Correct… every state is different and also the new state may have laws exempting you for paying tax. I believe CT would exempt you from paying sales tax if you can prove sales tax was already paid in full on the car in a different state including leases. Also, NJ allows people to request a tax refund for any unused taxes based on when the car leaves the state.

There are specific situations where you can pay limited tax on the lease depending on the states involved, while others transfers can cost you almost 2x the taxes. It’s confusing and complex to say at least, especially in the case of a lease transfer since technically it may not be considered the same “owner” based on the lessee change.

NY is unfortunately one of the strictest as there are only a few specific scenarios that you can request prepaid tax back/credit like in the case of a true lemon (by law).

1 Like

You weren’t tricked, but like everyone stated on here you need to get the salesperson confirmation in writing (Email or text message) to back your position. Even if she was wrong, it’s on her and she should honor the deal. That’s on the salesperson for making promises without getting approval from the manager.

And yes, you seem too nice. I can’t imagine having to pay an extra $2000 or so because the salesperson screwed up. Either get what you wanted or walk away. No one is ever putting a gun to you or the dealer to accept the deal.

The fact that you’re on this site is good, seems like you do some research. But try to reach out for advice BEFORE signing anything. It’s never a good deal if you come on this site for confirmation.

Good luck next time. Be strong.

1 Like

Why wouldn’t you get everything in writing and seal the deal before going in?

They got you good when you showed up…

SUPRISE MF’er…

2 Likes

You’re exactly right. Lesson learned.

A good friend is in car sales and I asked him his thoughts. He said they took advantage and assumed since I made the trip I’d (eventually) work out a deal with them.

Thanks, you’re 100% correct. Lesson learned.

Mods, can we close this thread? Can’t imagine anything positive can be added here.

I’ll leave it open Incase OP has anymore questions, but I think the thread has already run it’s course and if anyone else wanted to share, they would have by now.

OP seems to have figured out what has happened and how to best proceed in the future and that’s the intent of the community!

If I’m heading somewhere that is 3 hours away, I want every last detail in writing before making the trip.

+1 my current (ending lease) - I live in San Diego and the 1 and only blue/black loaded nerdbox in 1,000 miles was at a dealer in Vegas. I had a $399/mo with tax quote here for color/equip I didn’t want. I messaged through their site, asked if it was available, that I had a quote for this payment/terms from a local dealer and could they match? Yes in writing. Minimal deposit over phone (which they didn’t even run my cc), flew in, quick test drive and on my way home.

Get it in writing first, otherwise risk showing up/driving/falling in love/overpaying.