Want the 2024 Taco Trailhunter, but need a vehicle now

Phoenix, AZ

So handed over my lease, work remotely me 50% of the time, and wanted to grab the new 2024 Tacoma Trailhunter, but it seems that the 2024 models will arrive at dealers around November 2023, with the Trailhunter possibly arriving later in Spring of 2024. In a pickle without a car now, so debating on options.

One option I was thinking was financing or leasing a new Tacoma, such as a TRD Pro to use until the 2024 Trailhunter arrives. Been trying to look at rates and deals on Tacomas, but I don’t see to many listed on Leasehackr for comparisons.

Does anyone have experience with Tacomas for leasing vs financing? So far, I see residual on 2 year lease for a TRD Pro would possibly be around 72%. Trying to mitigate as much spending as possible for a vehicle that’ll be used for less than 1 year with less than 5,000 miles put on it. In fact, I imagine I’ll only be putting 2-3k miles on it max… Would something like 36/10k and use as a trade-in be viable?

Have you ordered one? Are you on a list?

If not, I doubt you’re going to be able to acquire one when they start arriving and therefore your timeline is going to be very different

Yea, order isn’t even open. All they have at the moment is just sign up for alerts, nothing beyond that.

You can’t order a Toyota :melting_face:

Pick up a short lease transfer and pray you can find one at msrp when they drop

1 Like

It’s hard to recommend a strategy when the timeline is so unclear.

Without the ability to order maybe it’s mid or even late 2025 (2+ years from now) before you can get one without blessings.

Have you talked to any dealers about a deposit?

I am also in wanted bucket. Called few dealers around. Most of them are not in hurry and not taking deposit yet for TRD and Trailhunter. 2 dealer are willing to do deposit for MSRP + $10K ADM + $4K add ons. :joy: … I guess they didn’t get memo that COVID is over, supply chain is coming back.

I have reached out to Ryan in Houston. Lets see what he is advising.

To be fair you asked the dealers about the two hottest trim levels with the expected lowest supply.

If you asked about a common SR5 that would be a different story

You could lease a grand Cherokee 4xe in the meantime for pretty cheap, might even make sense to do an Ally lease since you’re going to flip out of it so quickly.

Full disclosure I have no idea how they are selling after light use so probably worth getting an idea of the MMR on one with like 5-6k miles

I’m confused about the Ally part here

1 Like

Yeah never do Ally if you want out. CCAP only.

1 Like

Another reason for the OP to believe he won’t be getting it in the spring of 2024.

Yes, you can. I’ve done it personally for a friend of mine

Toyotas are allocation only wdym

No, I personally have done it. Told my GM, told my Inventory Manager, my customer wanted specific vehicle and took about 6 months to get it to the dealership. In return, we had to forfeit 2 allocation on the vehicle. So, no it’s not allocation only. I had done it

Enlighten us with some details. The only thing all of us have ever seen or heard is that you can’t custom order a Toyota however you can get an allocation that should be exact or close enough to the vehicle one would order if they could.

Edit: I see you updated with some details. Still hard to tell if it was pulled out of allocations or was custom built. Since you had to forfeit two allocations it would appear as though the vehicle was allocated to some dealership exactly the way your customer would have ordered it & your dealer had to trade two future allocations for it. That doesn’t seem like custom ordering to me.

1 Like

@Cody_Carter debug this

1 Like

One really has to talk to the inventory manager of what specific that he or she wants. Can’t talk to Sales Manager because they won’t listen.

When I was shopping for my GC, there was an additional like $6300 or so in IDL cash. If OP leases through Ally to get the extra leash cash, then buys it out while he waits for the taco, he should get around break even when he sells the Jeep. But idk how the used GCs are selling right now.

This was when Highlander Limited did not have a Bench Seat and the customer had to have it. Told her exactly what the inventory manager told me to tell her about the time frame and such and 6 months later, it was there. I think that is custom built. Pulled a lot of strings though