VW Jetta S Lease ending this week

Hi!
My Jetta S lease ends this week, as per VW dealer the payout is around 13k for me to buy out the car.
I checked carmax online and its showing around 18k, carvana around 15k.
I am not sure how true the online values are.

Also VW doesn’t allow third party buyout from what I have seen. So I will need to buy the car out and then sell it. Can I buy the car and sell it the same day?

What happens to sales tax in this case? I am in CA (Nor Cal)

Any other approaches/suggestions I could go with? I am not getting a new car so trade-in is not an option. I just want something which is hassle free and quick!

Thanks

Not sure about taxes in CA, as I’m not from there. But you won’t be able to do it all in the same day. In order to sell your vehicle, you will need to the title, which will take a few weeks to get to you after you buy it.

Try selling it to a broker on here or algo, etc.

1 Like
  1. No, you need to wait for the title to come and issue in your name.

2. You pay sales tax and if sold in 10 days from new Title, you can ask for it back.

3. Other Approaches, try a different VW Dealer, find a nonVW dealer who owns a VW Dealer (Like Autonation) and see if they want it, or @Anthony_Lopez is a SoCal broker who buys all cars. Message him and see his price.

1 Like

You can sell to a VW/Audi dealer, that’s the easiest way out.

If your registration is up also, you need to

• buy out your lease
  • get the lessor-released title
  • re-title the car and pay taxes (unless you sell to someone who accepts LRTs)
  • reregister your car for a year
  • sell your car in 10 days from buyout
  • apply for the tax to be refunded

Lots of related threads here in you search (selling to any of the online buyers, selling to a dealer, buying out lease and recovering taxes, etc), someone has done all of these scenarios, but selling to a VW dealer is fastest and easiest.

Good luck.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.