VW ID4 lease followed by buyout - help me understand this deal!

Hackrs,

I’d like to lease a new VW ID4, then immediately buy it out. But I’m a bit confused about the terms the dealer is proposing. I’m hoping you can help straighten me out.

Questions -

1. Can I really pay the down payment, one-month, then buyout at MSRP? Also, it looks like the dealer plused-up the price with accessories and various fees. The real buyout cost would be $46,787.23-$7500= $39,287.23. Correct?
  2. The $7500 EV credit is money off the lease, but I can’t use it to reduce taxable ‘basis’ correct?
  3. Speaking of tax, out local sales tax is 7.75%, so I’ll need to add that to the buy-out cost too right?

Anything else I should understand? How would you evaluate this offer?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide!

SoC

Smog fee? :rofl:

6 Likes

“Tire Fee Fee” ?!

3 Likes

$8.75 sounds like a steal on that

1 Like

What’s included in the $1800 worth of accessories?

Surprised they didn’t charge you for a full tank of gas

2 Likes

In this case, it’s the CA DMV tax on not polluting enough. Same reason they charge you an annual fee ($100) for not consuming enough gasoline.

4 Likes

It’s actually the electronic vehicle registration / filing fee. It’s legit and capped in CA.

4 Likes

Your buyout should be the adjusted cap cost plus whatever purchase fee. You will want to verify in the contract that they havent changed the language to include unearned rent charge in the buyout.

You will owe sales tax on the buyout amount, plus you will have to pay registration, transfer fees, etc. Yes, even though you just paid it.

1 Like

add that acquisition fee to the sunk cost… omg that MF is atrocious…

Market value isn’t necessarily MSRP.

What’s this car’s MSRP?

You don’t have to pay the registration fee again in CA, just the tax and transfer fee. But if you use the dealer for buyout they may charge a fee.

It’s the charger, ceramic coating, and anti-theft. I didn’t notice them at first. The sales person made it sound like ‘I’m throwing these in for you because we want a deal’, rather than ‘I just added things to your bill.’

If I go back removing these is on the to-do list.

The MSRP is $43,790 on the dealer website, but when I build on the VW USA website it shows $43,995 (before delivery).

The dealer doesn’t have window stickers posted online unfortunately.

Yeah. That was a shock. Over 9%. Beware anyone holding this lease for 36mo.

1 Like

Thanks. Sounds like a reminder that there is no substitute for reading the contract.

1 Like

It’s $43,995 before destination. It’s really $45,290 as the price went up $1500 for any ID.4 built after Jan,4th. The $43,790 one was built prior to that (apparently).

MSRP must always be defined including destination.

Hi,

Did you buy this VW ID 4 after lease, can you please share how much you paid and any breakup for the amount you paid at buyout?

Thanks

Can anyone please post you experience on the VW ID 4 buyout after leasing?

Need help to understand what you paid in the lease and what was your buyout cost breaks up in CA. Need help to understand

1. Do you have to pay disposition fee if you buyout 1 month after signing lease?
  2. Can you please confirm if the balance rent charges for the reminder of the lease was not paid?
  3. Any other gotcha’s?
  4. Please also provide the state the VW ID 4 was leased in and the buyout executed. I need help to understand the buyout cost after leasing in CA.

Would appreciate if you can post your buyout experience.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi SoC,

Did you end up leasing the VW ID4 and then buy it out? I am planning to do that in the next 2 days. If you can share your experience that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

1 Like