VW ID.4, $401.23, $5,000 down+$4,500 trade allowance

In NJ I took a quick look at these when the Charge Up rebate came back and I quickly decided that it wasn’t worth $400 a month. I couldn’t imagine paying almost $2,000 in markup and another couple of thousand in worthless add ons that effectively make this a $700 a month payment now.

3 Likes

Regardless of how this is cut, the deal sucks. $1,118 for ceramic…? Tell me the dealer didn’t supply this “service”. And you’re concerned about the $400 theft deterrent. LOL

4 Likes

Why even bother sharing such a horrible deal? I doubt there are folks on this forum lining up to lease this car.

1 Like

We need to have “worst lease deals” thread going plus share with other users of “what no to do”

5 Likes

No need to call it “bogus”. You had two options:
Take the deal or listen to the advice of numerous folks who pretty much told you that this car leased horribly.
No one forced you sign such a terrible deal.

:point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2:

2 Likes

Oh well, (slightly) better than the guy who showed last week and asked if $800/mo on an ID4 was a “deal.”

Is there something I am missing about these ID4s? Why are multiple people showing up here with such a strong compulsion to acquire these at totally unreasonable prices? And then feeling bad about it, as if they absolutely no other choice in the market…

1 Like

For some people it really is a simple as “It’s not a Tesla

2 Likes

The Tesla brand has “it” though, whatever that “it” might be. The alternative is usually to go for the “smart money” option though. I imagine that an ID4 is going to be a better equipped car than a Bolt, Ioniq, Kona, Etc but is it hundreds of dollars a month better? And you’re still in a “Value” (albeit German) brand that most people look at as “an EV that isn’t a Tesla”. At least it comes with free charging, that’s a nice perk but you’re gonna have to drive the hell out of it to get any value at these prices!

1 Like

This may be my one saving grace. I got $1,000 more than I would have with Carvana/Vroom.

So that $2K MSRP markup was just $1K. Maybe I am trying to just make myself feel better.

Also, on the ceramic note, it was done through an external company at the dealer. When I did my last car, it was $2,500 at another place, so I considered the price fair for 5 year ceramic.

You can’t fill a cup that’s already full.

1 Like

I get that, but what’s the point in paying a substantial premium for an EV? I’ll stick to my ICE car for now.

2 Likes

What’s done is done but I think that the dealer just played a shell game with the trade to make it look like they were giving you “more”. This is usually why it is advisable to handle the trade as a separate transaction altogether.

2 Likes

So you have a history of getting hosed… anyway don’t compound the mistake by buying the ID4.

It will depreciate like a rock.

2 Likes

Gas is over $4 in CA. I commute about 95 miles daily (round trip). EV is the way to go.

5 Likes

To each their own. I’m on the East Coast, btw.

1 Like

At 4 dollars a gallon you’re looking at roughly 275 dollars a month in fuel costs, assuming a comparable 30 MPG ICE vehicle. The question becomes what, if anything could you have gotten in an ICE vehicle that was at or below your break even point of around 425 a month, zero DAS?

4 Likes

There are also other EV much cheaper than this ID4.

2 Likes

For some people just paying one bill even if it has a premium on it is preferable to having multiple smaller bills.

1 Like

True, I’m just using it as the example because it does include free charging. In theory you could never have to pay for “fuel” during the course of the lease which makes it easy to figure out what the break even point is on a monthly payment basis. Regardless, I am pretty sure that OP is gonna have to buy this if it will be their primary vehicle with that kind of commute. That’s almost 25k miles a year without using it for anything else if you do that 5 days a week.

2 Likes

Yeah, I know of several people at this point leasing one to cash out the BEV credit off the bat with the plan to drive the wheels off of it during the free DCFC period, then buying it out or sell it on forward at that point.