Volvo XC40 or BMW X3

Audi Q3, Mercedes '21 GLA isn’t terrible, Mercedes GLB, 20 support shockingly got extended into May, so you can try and find a '20 to hack ASAP.

:chocolate_bar:

I think Q3 might be more manageable (although I obviously don’t know your mom!).

Will she drive a Mercedes? MB’s current infotainment system is pretty inscrutable, unfortunately, but the GLA would probably be a great size for her.

Also, if she is open to other brands, make sure you check how their blind-spot works. My VW simply flashes an amber color in the mirror. That’s super annoying b/c, for reasons that are completely unclear to me, the mirror turn signals wrap around the housing and pretty close to the BSM, so it can hard to distinguish them. The BSM deactivates at low speed (why???) and has no audible alert. Very diff than the MB BSM.

If the 2022 X1 is simply the same car (and not a new generation), I doubt BMW will add BSM. I think they don’t want to bother to update the electrical architecture to support that feature w/ a new generation likely to be introduced fairly soon.

2022 X1 will be completely new. The current version is 6 years old…that’s why I don’t want her to get it. BMW is still building the 2021s, so there’s no way to price out/build the 2022 and see what the options are.

I’m not familiar with the Mercedes models. Will look into GLA and GLB as mentioned above. Thanks!

Huh. That is so odd that the X1 has lane departure warning but not BSM. Seems like they’d work on the same system.

I feel more comfortable with lane change warnings (i.e. mirror lights up if I didn’t see someone or steering wheel vibrates). This is the part where you tell me I don’t have my mirrors set correctly. And the issue is more sometimes humans are careless and it improves the probability ever so slightly which I appreciate. I also would not go without backup camera at this point.

This is helpful. I find the system (BLIS which is part of Sensus) in the Volvo to be helpful without being intrusive. If mom has not driven the xc40 and xc60 I suggest she try both - 60 doesn’t feel significantly bigger to me and may (or may not) lease better, but it’s all preference.

The shared deals section is a useful reference for how any of these options is currently leasing.

1 Like

You do you. Haha.

Personally, I hate those little lights. Always freaks me out when I see a light out the corner of my eye pop up in my window.

I considered getting the little mirror in mirror sticker but it would cover that delightful light :stuck_out_tongue:

Just go to the Marketplace and pick whatever you/your mom likes.

Most cars do not lease well. This is truer now than it has ever been. So don’t expect any deal to exist outside of this subset:

1 Like

Oh, didn’t realize the X1 had other driving assistance. Yeah, it is a curious omission, but maybe BMW thinks that the active driving assistance is more compelling (and thus more worth the cost of upgrading an older platform) than BSM?

I set my mirrors as correctly as I can. My mirrors have a “sporty” shape, so I can’t quite full coverage. I still think BSM, when done well, is super helpful.

AEB kicks in if all those things are not responded to and it sees and imminent collision. My CX5 does it often, only once did it put on the brakes and that’s because a turning car, that was halfway around the corner suddenly stopped for no reason, saved my ass because I anticipated that he would keep going

My AEB on XC40 only activated once, when someone was making a slow turn and it thought I was taking things a little too fast, no false positives otherwise.

My mom (70’s) has never felt comfortable with a car as much as she has with the XC40 since her 1999 CR-V. She’s got a 2021 XC40 T5 R-Design.

I’ve personally had the cross traffic sensor work and help in parking lots where you can have 360 camera activated, but there’s always someone in a rush. I’ve never had it auto brake or need to intervene with backup, but the dings are nice.

Already regretting getting rid of my XC40, but only got it to drive around my niece, and now there are (2) other XC40’s she will be safe in.

The XC40 is built on the same Compact Modular Platform as the Polestar 2 as well as upcoming C40. It’s a brilliant little platform.

Sorry to sound like a shill, but after years of hell with a 2016 (then 2017) Explorer with exhaust smells and wind noise at highway speed due to misaligned doors on the 2017, I was in heaven in that car.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.