Volvo S90 maintenance

@Mike2000 Keep in mind that using adaptive cruise control / autopilot will obliterate your brake pads. At 16K miles I needed to replace my front pads. I’m at 20K now and needing immediate replacement of rear pads.

Getting the work done at a dealership is not cheap.

My AWD T6 S90 had the same small gas tank.

2 Likes

Nice feedback!

I concur, it’s awful. Get used to using Carplay or Android Auto.

Cadillac and Tesla are better for sure, but none of these systems are anywhere near 100%.

Wish there was a physical button to get to it quickly for parking.

I love it when I’m not wearing polarized sunglasses, it’s pretty useless for me when driving during the daytime.

2 Likes

Now that you say that, that’s probably why I couldn’t ever see the HUD on my v60 loaner. All my sunglasses are polarized.

2 Likes

If I tilt my head about 10° it’s perfectly bright. I wonder if Volvo could have tilted the orientation of the display to make 0° work.

Issue is likely based on the rake angle of the windshield. Light bouncing off of glass tends to orient the polarization direction.

Ah, makes sense. I was thinking how light passing through the LCD matrix makes your TV/phone visible at some angles and not others.

Basically, sunglasses are vertically polarized to cut down on glare coming off of flat, horizontal surfaces (bodies of water, etc). The reflection axis of an HUD against the windshield makes it basically horizontally polarized. As such, sunglasses block it out. Now, some vehicles with more rake or a different seating position get away from the Brewster’s angle, which can effect how much the light is polarized. Your options are to either move your head up or down, change the rake angle of the windshield, or move the hud projector closer or further from you. Obviously, dash placement and vehicle design set the latter two.

2 Likes

The 2021 mid-cycle refreshed S90 has been on sale in China. They are now equipped with 15.9 gal gas tanks, hope that change applies to US models as well.

1 Like

You can calibrate the hight and also tilt the HUD. I agree, I cant use it with my sunglasses neither, will try to see if the tilt works.

I know and I heard here in the forum about it. In the same time I heard that Volvo covers the brakes when the wear is premature and I think 16kmiles is more than premature and I hope they will cover that. This is a known issue and I hope Volvo will deal generously with it.

Good that I saw it here and was prepared. As several people here and on other forums mentioned: The S90 is a great car with a break wear issue. I hope they cover the brakes under warranty, lets wait and see.

My brakes haven’t worn hardly at all in 12k, still at 9. But had significant pad transfer on the rotors causing them to be replaced recently. You’d think it would be an easy fix rather than just replacing everyone’s under warranty. Seems like a material issue and not design.

1 Like

I have the 2020 model and according to the manual, it has a 15.9 gal tank. My complaint is that the fuel light comes one as soon as you hit 1/4 tank - so with 4 gals left.

1 Like

Quick question: Does the S90 have a brake wear sensor in the brake pads? Most modern cars have those sensors, therefore I am supersized to hear that people were surprised to see that out of the blue they have just 1mm pad left??? If your pad wears down below a certain thickness, it should show on your board computer that brake are not good anymore.

Another quick question: is that normal that there is no chiming and beeping when I drive without the sealtbelt on? I thought I even read somwhere you cant even drive without the belt on but here not only that I can drive without the belt on but there is no beeping or anything. Is that normal?

There are 4 or 5 chimes when you start the car, but then they go away. They’re not persistent like other manufacturers. My wife’s CX9 drives me crazy; it never stops.

1 Like

Is very interesting and surprising! I would have expected that from any other car company but not from Volvo. Based on what I found out on other forums, this seems to be a US specific thing. Outside of the US you cant even drive without putting the seatbelt on (the parking brake would not disengage). I dont know if this is a good or bad thing but at least I know there is nothing wrong with the car.

You can’t even make people wear masks here, so constantly reminding them about seat belts would violate their right to kill themselves :slight_smile:

5 Likes

exactly as you said @HersheySweet, the front rotors were warped on an almost brand new car!! I had my car in and the dealership replaced them under warranty. I feel kind of part of the club now LOL

2 Likes