Volt being discontinued

Considering that’s an Opel Insignia in disguise, and Opel was tossed off to PSA, I’m not sure you’ll see a next gen considering sales are pretty bad right now in the states, + lease support is some of the worst I’ve seen on a newly redesigned car. Rumor has it, PSA is licensed to build this thing until 2023 in Rüsselsheim, so you have a few years to get one while you can.

1 Like

If the Eclipse name can be used to sell cookie cutter crossovers, you never know what might happen to the Impala!

2 Likes

and I can totally see the Impala nameplate on a pickup truck in fairness.

1 Like

I am surprised to see the Cruze getting axed. I thought it was a good seller and it is a decent vehicle for the money. I guess nobody is buying small sedans any longer since small SUV gets almost as good mpg.

2 Likes

We loved our Gen 1 Volt. It was my dad’s first domestic car since the 80s, and it left a great impression of the new GM. Reliable, efficient, and drove well.

I have zero interest in SUVs or trucks, and it’s a shame the Big Three are moving away from passenger cars. I’ve had two Focuses (Focii? 2012 SE hatchback 5MT and Focus Electric) and there’s no way I’d consider an EcoSport or Escape. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I had one for a rental in CA and drove it to Vegas. Outside of wanting a little more power, it was a decent car. It sure as hell beat the Sentra I got (had to turn the Cruze in in Vegas and get a new car there to avoid a daily drop fee on my rental). That Sentra was terrible in every respect

I don’t get the logic of those who are expecting deals on Volt. Product itself has nothing wrong with it and there is still demand. Ending production will do nothing but put stress on the existing inventory which will not help prices consumers pay. I would expect dealer discounts to get worse.

4 Likes

I get what you are saying, but conversely the reality is that the Volt (and Bolt) aren’t going to sell at all based on the current MSRP without the (winding down) federal incentives, so there may be some supplemental incentives to make up for it on GM’s end at some point. Come to think of it, discontinuing the Volt now does make some sense if you consider that the federal incentives are winding down. I suppose the Bolt stays in the lineup to show a commitment to a gas free future, which apparently every manufacturer has to at least pretend to be aiming for.

To be clear, I am not questioning GM’s decision. Just my two cents to those who are in the market for a Volt but plan to postpone based on this news alone hoping to get a better deal. I don;t think it is going to happen. Dealers will have zero issue selling out existing inventory. Isn’t it @chevysalesgirl?

It’s possible that you are right, but the lease cash has already started to dry up this month, and the money factor went up too, which I’m sure doesn’t make it easier to move inventory. Certain markets are hotter than others since people are looking for a cheap-ish ride that can score a carpool/HOV sticker.

Just got a call from a local So CA dealer regarding an inquiry I had. He said they were absolutely not discontinuing the Volt. Uhhh…I told him it’s all over the news. Surprise!

1 Like

Maybe he thought you said “Bolt.” Then again, sales are usually the last to know.

Right in line with hitting 200K cars sold. They probably cannot turn a profit without the $7500 rebate.

1 Like

i initially heard the Volt was going until 2022. last year, they had a slow in production over the equinox coming out. sometimes they close plants to move elsewhere and the car continues. it’s all based on their union contracts and who/where they can pay less to get the same car built. they’re lobbying with tesla and nissan right now to keep federal rebates going because there’s not a big enough ROI on electrics with high cost per unit.

2 Likes

I think GM, like the stock market and the rest of the economy, is just getting tired of winning.

2 Likes

Gas isn’t going to stay cheap forever, so hopefully GM has something in the works to replace the Volt. The Volt was pretty much a mirror copy of their older EV1, and kept the whole “batteries in the transmission tunnel” build style. The chassis couldn’t be shared either, so it made for a very high cost per unit rather than the flexible platforms that most other automotive makers have switched to. Hopefully their future chassis plans will include these PHEV and BEV vehicles that can help offset our dependence on oil.

It’s also a shame that GM has no future plans for the plants; that means up to 5600 workers will be without jobs. Add the fact that GM already stated they will cut 15% of their salaried staff… this is going to impact the middle class / working class in Ohio / Michigan pretty significantly.

If only policy makers were actually capable of planning for longer term growth strategies, outside of their electoral cycle - then maybe they could try to attract industries that aren’t in decline.

It’s a given that people in the US will always need cars. However it’s not a given that people in the US will be required to make said cars. States that are heavily reliant on well-paid manufacturing jobs really need to urgently be looking at what the future looks like (as has been the case for decades really)

2 Likes

There are three trends that are disrupting the industry for the foreseeable future:

Car sharing: Which will make car ownership a hobby rather than a necessity ( horses–> cars in the beginning of the last century) . This will result in declining unit sales.

Electrification: It will make cars much more reliable and require less maintenance due to less number of moving parts. This will result in decline in service revenue.

Autonomy: It will make cars safer by preventing collisions. This will result decline in parts revenue and will indirectly impact new car sales.

None of them are good news for those organizations ( manufacturers, dealer orgs) who struggle to innovate. That’s why my money is on Tesla.

I see this affecting the two ends of the car buying bell curve: childless singles/couples and empty nesters. Most, if not all, people with children who can afford to have their own cars will still do so.

1 Like

Agree 100%. Personally, there is no way I’m car sharing and moving the car seat from vehicle to vehicle, nor do I want to have to clean my kid’s crap out of it after a 25 minute drive. I’m also not sharing car seats with anyone.

My wife’s car, as family car, has been moved into like a studio apartment and I don’t see that changing until the lease is up. I don’t see that model changing anytime soon, either.

5 Likes