VERSION2: Lease/Car Payment- How much $ does it make sense to pay for a car for six figure income?

No such thing as an $80,000 sticker 7 anymore…

1 Like

Loaner with bumper damage :joy:

Oh I’m not talking about sale price!

$77/100 is doable w/flagship cert on remaining ‘19 before incentives.

To everyone who commented on the post,

Thanks y’all for your feedbacks and inputs. I gotta admit that I was definitely being roasted from my previous post since I did mention that I was living with my parents with just little money saved up.

A big takeaway from this post is that I have not made it yet…! There are definitely many older folks who have advised wisely on this forum.

I started to make money from last year and saved up pretty aggressively while reinvesting back into my business. I do E-commerce Business + Digital Marketing so I do about 500k-600k/year in sales now but my net profit is about 20-25% after paying employees and other goods. My income expects to be definitely higher this year than last year.

I maxed out my Roth IRA this year and saved up about $100k to buy a house next year when I do get qualified for mortgage. Honestly, I think there’s a purpose to drive this $1000-$1500/mo lease payment car which is to make some statements and biggest part is for my own pleasure. I think there’s a huge difference of enjoyment when you drive the cars like i8, RSs, Amgs, Ms in 20s vs 40s,50s,or even 60s.

I drove M3 for 8months for about $700/mo which was a hackrlevel deal in my state. I wrote off and saved 30% so I did not regret that decision. And I was able to network with other business owners who referred me some businesses as well.

I think a lot of people tell me to just bank and park the money into something that grows but I think it’s also important to reinvest back into my business. I don’t know how car is portrayed as ‘investment’ but in my nature of business, (especially when I am 24 years old) how you dress and appear makes a huge statement to possible clients from my experience.

I have a financial plan as far as investments go, putting my money into diversified portfolio once I have more than $200k after buying a house next year.

But maybe I am trying to rationalize myself into getting something that I do not need at the moment. That’s why I wanted to hear your opinions and how you think about it. In the end, it’s all of my decision but let’s see.

1 Like

Huh? How’s this at all accurate? Have you done each of them to know?

:bat:

There’s a fine line you have to walk between being frugal and YOLO.

With everything you just added, I’d say go for it. It seems as though you’re being responsible with your money and a good hack won’t sink you, especially if it’s good enough to easily offload in case life gets you down.

Life’s too short to be unhappy, so if you want a big ol’ dumb smile on your face, hack something that you love.

1 Like

YMMV…I wouldn’t give advise to anyone making more than me.

3 Likes

This has to be the wealthiest forum I’ve ever read in my life. Good god what am I doing wrong!

2 Likes

We’re by no means wealthy but have good jobs and made some well timed real estate investments that rent well. No kids helps a ton too!

3 Likes

:rofl::sweat_smile:

Well he is in e-commerce and digital marketing which means he is one of those millennials who saw the advertisement on Instagram or another cool social media site and joined in by buying a program saying they can make thousands a week, “those systems” are all over, dime a dozen. They are supposingly get rich and work for yourself type of thingies. Be your own boss. Crowded market and completely saturated!

I know people who make more than me and aren’t so good at managing money.

#bossbabelife

1 Like

Well…seems to be working for him. Can someone show me how? I’m just slumming it as an accountant it seems.

Stay as an accountant, If it was known that it could bring you hundreds of thousands a year don’t you think everyone would be quitting their jobs and becoming their own boss. Like I said it’s a completely saturated market.

2 Likes

Warren Buffet at least drives an 8 year old Caddy

And he still lives in the same house he bought ages ago.

1 Like

That’s just miserly though. Not saying I’d be into mansions, yachts, private jets and warehouses full of hypercars If i had WB money but i sure as hell wouldn’t take it to the extreme they do…

1 Like

It is definitely saturated market but who’s the richest man in the world now? Bezos…

Amazon= E-commerce… Imagine you just get .0001% of the pie of the wealth.

Digital marketing had been changing the marketing platforms as well. One guy I know pulls off $10M/year in sales with his Amazon business at 21 years old. Things have been changing since last decade apparently.

I think it depends what type of spender/saver you are and how much you enjoy cars. Here’s my thoughts on Monthly auto spend (representing lease payment only, not including gas/ins/Mtce)

Conservative < 5% gross income
Moderate 5-8%
Car enthusiast :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: > 8%

for example based on 100k gross income

Conservative < ~ $400/mo
Moderate ~ $400-600/mo
Car Enthusiast :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: > $600/mo

2 Likes

I know people who make less than $100k who put upwards of that amount to lease a car.

And even though an individual might make $100k they might have much higher living expenses than someone making say $50,000. So the gross salary idea of what one can afford can sometimes be a bit off.