VERSION2: Lease/Car Payment- How much $ does it make sense to pay for a car for six figure income?

I found a 2015 Lexus ES 330H with 15,000 miles in Virginia for about $21,500, I’m still considering it. Navy blue with a near white interior, 40 mpg. Very nice. If I were you I would buy that with cash, or put enough down to have a $299 payment. I’m assuming your credit score is over 750.

Bogel method he’s heavy into ETFs and bonds, you mention your just in etf’s, how often do you rebalance (I have heard keep it very minimum if you have too) and do you dabble in bonds?. I’m heavy into etfs myself and have a mid five figure trading account to have fun with.

$1,900 in rent, that’s a wet dream for people in NYC.

Anyways brosef OP, entry level 6 figures, big dog status, with an entire $100k banked, booyah!!!OMGOMG!!#%%#!! Well worth two threads… $1,500 a month for a lease on that? Gotta be honest, sounds like you need an economics lesson. But I’m an enabler, so instead, I’ll recommend upping the game a little and looking into a Rolls-Royce Wraith, no need to humble brag here, show that income off irl!!

2 Likes

Assuming his rent is 2k: 8000 + 2000 = 10000 / .70 ( assuming 70% take home after taxes) = 14,200 gross * 12 = 172k. So even the low end is substantially higher than “100k”. My point was based on the number he provided his gross is closer to/over 200k, not 100k, which is a different discussion, in my opinion.

1 Like

“Not everything on the internet is true.”

—Napoleon Bonaparte

1 Like

My guess would be a sales job…bad months I bring home 7k good months closer to 12k. I think he gave a average.

1 Like

I think it’s also important for everyone to realize that $100,000 a year doesn’t go as far as it used to. Maybe money is rolling in well right now, but always be conscientious that life happens: kids, accidents, injuries, the economy.

To answer your question, I personally would never lease a car over $500. I grew up poor, and personally I could never stomach throwing away extra money like that. I love cars, always have since I was little, but my own return of investment in car happiness has diminishing returns. I would be just as happy in a $35,000 Kia as a $80,000 7 series.
I’m not looking to impress other people with my car or things.

From the looks of your posts and attitude about cars, it looks like you’re trying to impress people. You should do things for yourself and your own happiness. That’s what really matters. Ask yourself what you should do, not strangers on the internet.

Sorry but if you love cars there’s no way your getting the same level of enjoyment from a Kia to a 7 series in fact most “car guys” would never get a 7 series.

Also I agree with you on a lot of points, but doesn’t posting a pic of yourself flexing fall into the impressing others category?

3 Likes

I’m glad you were able to step inside my brain, and share with everyone what I truly feel after all of the experiences I’ve had in life. :roll_eyes:. Yeah dude, I’d enjoy a Stinger as much as a 7 series.

I’d like to point out that James May is a car guy, and drives a Fiat Panda. So there is no set rules on cars that an enthusiast HAS to drive or spend money on.

Am I not allowed to have a photo of myself as my profile picture? For one, I enjoy bodybuilding as a sport and hobby, and I’d like to share that with the world. I do it for me. Two, I’m not even big. Nothing to even show off here in the first place.

1 Like

tbh, it’s all about your priorities in life… a married man with children is not going to have the same priorities in life as a bachelor… Everyone sets different goals for themselves as well as different expenses based on what’s important to them. I myself love getting great deals on my vehicles but always wanted a fast boat. When I felt the time was right with my income/ savings/ house/ family I ended up purchasing an M6 and modifying it because it made me happy… After about 9 months, I realized how much money I was putting into it with modifications, gas, and most importantly time that I ended up getting rid of it suffering $5,000 in total losses over the 9 months… Not saying I couldnt afford it but I realized it was taking away from my family time as I would do rallies and events with my buddies.

If you feel as if you are in a good position to go for your dreams, don’t let anyone stop you, just think long and hard before jumping in over your head.

Sales? Real estate agent?

Sales executive

Agreed.

And, in that case, put that $ away for a downpayment on a home, OP!

Not the OP, but I think the OP was simply trying to say that there’s a point at which the enjoyment from the car isn’t proportional to how much extra you had to pay for it. $35k will get you a Kia Stinger. If we’re talking about sporty 4-door cars, would, let’s say, an E53 be more enjoyable? Probably. Worth double the cost? No, IMO. Would an E63 by WAY more fun? Most likely. Worth 3x the cost? No way, IMHO.

1 Like

I think you guys need to drive those cars back to back before saying that.

There’s a reason why a luxury market exists for everything. Wine, cars, watches, etc…

And all of those appreciate over time. Look at 90s Porsches, wine futures, any high end watch.

There’s a reason why vacations exist, too. I know I’m not getting the same level of enjoyment in an above ground pool in New England as I would on a beach in the Maldives.

The best advice I have received is, “if you can make enough so that you can have anything you want, but not everything you want, life will be great.” It’s important to enjoy at every stage of life. Not everyone wants to retire early. If you love what you do, maybe it doesn’t matter? I could talk/broker cars all day every day.

1 Like

Yes, they presumably exist for profit margin.

No, they all most definitely do not. Look at any mainstream Lexus/Mercedes/BMW/Audi. And how much do you have to spend on maintenance/insurance/etc. to protect the few cars that do appreciate?

Things appreciate b/c that’s what the market will tolerate. The market is a psychological and emotional construct, b/c, other than scrap metal, these objects have no intrinsic value of their own.

I didn’t mention those brands. The brands you mentioned are not as high end on the luxury scale as I was implying.

I mentioned 90s Porsche’s, high end watches, and high end wine.

The market does tolerate it.

All I did was answer the thread OP on what I would personally do.

In the end, everyone should do what makes them happy. If that’s a high end Mercedes, go for it 100% no question.

But that’s not me. I don’t get any enjoyment out of needlessly expensive cars. I’d feel happier in a Kia. I described what makes me happy/unhappy, and I find it hilarious that people on here try to correct each other on their convictions.

1 Like

They exist because people assume a higher priced item is better. Sometimes quality doesn’t correlate with price (see range rover).

1 Like

Coming from the Aston Martin driver :slight_smile:

I tend to get my kicks on the low end too. I still drive a 2006 RSX Type S that I bought for under $10k 3+ years ago.

Eventually I’ll lease something with 4 doors since I can’t see trying to fit my daughters car seat in a coupe.

1 Like